Return to Hobie.com

Hobie Forums

It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:37 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:28 pm
Posts: 1
I am looking for an inflatable for fishing inshore in South FL. for I live in a condo with no storage. Is the inflatable kayak as stable as a hard shell kayak (or for that matter, as an inflatable dinghi,)for a large guy?
The reason I ask is, in the picture the Hobie inflatable kayak looks flat like a paddle board unlike a sit on top kayak & to me it looks like it can swamp very easy??


Last edited by IraC18 on Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:03 pm 
Offline
Hobie Fish Tech / Moderator

Joined: Wed May 11, 2016 8:20 am
Posts: 402
If you're comparing inflatable kayak to rigid hull kayak, stability of the inflatable is comparable if not better. The advantage to rigid hull kayaks is that they cut through wind chop and swell more efficiently.

_________________
Howie Strech
Associate Product Manager - Fishing Accessories
Hobie Cat USA


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:16 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:28 pm
Posts: 10
Location: 17003 Annville PA
I have 5 Kayaks, and Always use my inflatable when I have to travel light! They are by far way more stable then Hard Sided! You can't go wrong! One down side is they have a lot more drag, but it makes you appreciate a Hard Sided one! :lol:

_________________
2005 AI Blue hull (yep, only one ever made!) Prototype!
2014 TI Red hull
2002 MacGregor 26X PowerSailor 50 HP on the transom!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:29 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:55 pm
Posts: 33
IraC18 wrote:
I am looking for an inflatable for fishing inshore in South FL. for I live in a condo with no storage. Is the inflatable kayak as stable as a hard shell kayak (or for that matter, as an inflatable dinghi,)for a large guy?
The reason I ask is, in the picture the Hobie inflatable kayak looks flat like a paddle board unlike a sit on top kayak & to me it looks like it can swamp very easy??


You're reference is to the i11s new inflatable and no way does it swamp easily. I've owned every type of kayak and the i11s is more stable than most hard shells I've paddled. It rides up and over wave actions rather than slicing through like conventional kayaks. And should you take a swim it is a whole lot easier to reboard than the high sided plastic boats.

Daniel


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:31 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:47 am
Posts: 104
Location: Oregon Coast
dexstrom wrote:
IraC18 wrote:
I am looking for an inflatable for fishing inshore in South FL. for I live in a condo with no storage. Is the inflatable kayak as stable as a hard shell kayak (or for that matter, as an inflatable dinghi,)for a large guy?
The reason I ask is, in the picture the Hobie inflatable kayak looks flat like a paddle board unlike a sit on top kayak & to me it looks like it can swamp very easy??


You're reference is to the i11s new inflatable and no way does it swamp easily. I've owned every type of kayak and the i11s is more stable than most hard shells I've paddled. It rides up and over wave actions rather than slicing through like conventional kayaks. And should you take a swim it is a whole lot easier to reboard than the high sided plastic boats.

Daniel


x2. I can walk all around the front of mine, sit on the edge, fight/harpoon/net fish from a kneeling position and never even consider that the boat might swamp, even in some waves/chop....

_________________
2019 Outback 'Fish Retriever' (amazing!)
2016 i11s 'Go Cougs!'
2012 Oasis and 2012 PA12 (moved on but not forgotten...)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:03 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:59 am
Posts: 604
More stable, but a wetter ride if there is any wind or wave slap. There are sculplers but if you plug the holes then you are sitting in water all the time. Where as left unplugged then it will drain out for a while.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:39 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:00 pm
Posts: 493
Thinwater skinner wrote:
There are sculplers but if you plug the holes then you are sitting in water all the time. Where as left unplugged then it will drain out for a while.

They possibly removed the scuppers in the last redesign, which simplified away some of the leak hazards. Don't take my word for it, but a new (i12s?) owner reported not seeing any. Maybe the online manual will say. Anyway the front should drain thru the drive well and the new seat should elevate you over any back puddle unless you have this kind of weight distribution:

Image

_________________
My Hobie i12s... sailboat in a suitcase!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:57 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:27 pm
Posts: 78
x3... I used an inflatable for a few years before getting an AI. They are more stable than rigid hulls. Downside is they are more susceptible to winds and current.

I suppose they're more susceptible to fish hooks, too! :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:50 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:59 am
Posts: 604
daft wrote:
Thinwater skinner wrote:
There are sculplers but if you plug the holes then you are sitting in water all the time. Where as left unplugged then it will drain out for a while.

They possibly removed the scuppers in the last redesign, which simplified away some of the leak hazards. Don't take my word for it, but a new (i12s?) owner reported not seeing any. Maybe the online manual will say. Anyway the front should drain thru the drive well and the new seat should elevate you over any back puddle unless you have this kind of weight distribution:

Image


Thanks for the update... Yes you are right. I have one of the first one out on the market.. I love it.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
© Hobie Cat Company. All rights reserved.
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group