Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am looking for an inflatable for fishing inshore in South FL. for I live in a condo with no storage. Is the inflatable kayak as stable as a hard shell kayak (or for that matter, as an inflatable dinghi,)for a large guy?
The reason I ask is, in the picture the Hobie inflatable kayak looks flat like a paddle board unlike a sit on top kayak & to me it looks like it can swamp very easy??

Last edited by IraC18 on Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you're comparing inflatable kayak to rigid hull kayak, stability of the inflatable is comparable if not better. The advantage to rigid hull kayaks is that they cut through wind chop and swell more efficiently.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have 5 Kayaks, and Always use my inflatable when I have to travel light! They are by far way more stable then Hard Sided! You can't go wrong! One down side is they have a lot more drag, but it makes you appreciate a Hard Sided one! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:29 am 
Site Rank - Captain

IraC18 wrote:
I am looking for an inflatable for fishing inshore in South FL. for I live in a condo with no storage. Is the inflatable kayak as stable as a hard shell kayak (or for that matter, as an inflatable dinghi,)for a large guy?
The reason I ask is, in the picture the Hobie inflatable kayak looks flat like a paddle board unlike a sit on top kayak & to me it looks like it can swamp very easy??

You're reference is to the i11s new inflatable and no way does it swamp easily. I've owned every type of kayak and the i11s is more stable than most hard shells I've paddled. It rides up and over wave actions rather than slicing through like conventional kayaks. And should you take a swim it is a whole lot easier to reboard than the high sided plastic boats.

Daniel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:31 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

dexstrom wrote:
IraC18 wrote:

You're reference is to the i11s new inflatable and no way does it swamp easily. I've owned every type of kayak and the i11s is more stable than most hard shells I've paddled. It rides up and over wave actions rather than slicing through like conventional kayaks. And should you take a swim it is a whole lot easier to reboard than the high sided plastic boats.

Daniel

x2. I can walk all around the front of mine, sit on the edge, fight/harpoon/net fish from a kneeling position and never even consider that the boat might swamp, even in some waves/chop....

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

More stable, but a wetter ride if there is any wind or wave slap. There are sculplers but if you plug the holes then you are sitting in water all the time. Where as left unplugged then it will drain out for a while.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

x3... I used an inflatable for a few years before getting an AI. They are more stable than rigid hulls. Downside is they are more susceptible to winds and current.

I suppose they're more susceptible to fish hooks, too! :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

daft wrote:
Thinwater skinner wrote:
There are sculplers but if you plug the holes then you are sitting in water all the time. Where as left unplugged then it will drain out for a while.

They possibly removed the scuppers in the last redesign, which simplified away some of the leak hazards. Don't take my word for it, but a new (i12s?) owner reported not seeing any. Maybe the online manual will say. Anyway the front should drain thru the drive well and the new seat should elevate you over any back puddle unless you have this kind of weight distribution:

Thanks for the update... Yes you are right. I have one of the first one out on the market.. I love it.