Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:13 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I've yet to launch from the surf, am a bit hesitant for the following reasons:

1. no below-deck rod storage, I'll probably bungee 2 rods to the deck

2. hate dragging the inflatable hull through sand...might have to look into gluing on a guard of some sort, fore and aft

3. most importantly, once I pull the rudder and mirage drive, I have zero tracking in the i11s. Usually I start spinning immediately, even in calm waters by the ramp. I can see losing control coming in, even in very moderate surf!

The striped bass have left the bays, and are running *just* out of surf casting distance on the beach. Not going to attempt a maiden surf launch in Nov, but any suggestions as to how I might go about it would be appreciated. There really isn't any bay launch access that leads into the ocean near me, at least not feasible w/o a torqueedo or something similar.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wading hobies in to the water to a depth were drive (bungied up) and rudder can deployed before mounting is best way of launching. Then pedal like mad. You can pedal in the shallows with bungie still attached to avoid accidental digging into sand. Ditto on landing.They all handle like pigs until underway and pushing through surf. The open cockpit nature of mirage hobies act like a big bath tub when swamped making them hard to handle in any other attitude than head first into oncoming waves.

When beaching if using paddle unleashing and spearing to the shore while you hop out is standard yak landing technique, otherwise it becomes an encumbrance.