Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:28 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Does anyone actually fly with the i12s? We belong to United Mileageplus and get two free pieces of luggage up to 70lbs each. Looks like the i12s is actually over that even if I separate out all the components from the boat itself but I think the dimensions are okay. I'm afraid it would be $200 to fly but now thinking I can might be able to get it shipped separately (Fedex/UPS) for a reasonable cost. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ftjoe wrote:
luggage up to 70lbs each. Looks like the i12s is actually over that even if I separate out all the components from the boat itself

"Fitted Hull Weight: 53.5 lbs" sez Hobie; does your scale say otherwise? Take out the well plug and anything in the rollercase pocket? Then maybe wrap it in bubble wrap and use the rollercase for the other stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

No - I do see 53.5. I guess I'm asking because the i11s is touted as the plane friendly one on their website. I am still worried about the ability for my wife to actually get it to the beach but I assume if we get the wheels it would make it super easy. Thanks for the response, I think I'll stick with the i12s and get the cart but it looks like nothing is available for the beach (hard sand only). Might open another thread for this or actually look into DIY.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

If you take a look at the Hobie Accesories Catalog, you will find the i-Kayak Trax Cart, which seems to be what you are looking for. I think we share similar concerns.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:33 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks. Not sure I how I missed that, I actually searched and went through the catalog (apparently not very well). Looks like they are somewhat tough to locate for purchase. Also see some interesting discussions on these boards regarding how to wrangle the inflated tires once you are partially in the water. One suggestion was to partially fill them with water.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I wonder if the i11s could be backpacked short distances; I wouldn't try it with an i12s. Sometimes a really nice boating spot is inaccessible by wheels (vehicle, roller bag, or kart), but has a mile or so access trail. I might try a backpack + frontpack solution:

Image Image

I might tie up a bagless folded hull with wide strapping that could also loop over my shoulders. Hang the mirage drive, drinking water, and a stubbie telescopic backup paddle in a front bag with the fins going diagonal. Also affix a pump and pfd to the back somehow.

I currently do something like this with only slightly lighter non Hobie equipment (spot is too shallow for fin drive). The next day always has to be a rest day for my back to recover, but maybe that front pack gives better balance.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

hi all - still in the research phase on my purchase, but i am basically at the crossroads mentioned in the title of this thread.

airline travel is not really of great concern to me, though it would certainly be a bonus. i live in brooklyn, and will most often be fishing in the bays of south brooklyn, with the possibility of becoming braver and heading into the ocean once i get my sea legs.

i do head down to southwest virginia on a regular basis, and was entertaining the idea of bringing the kayak on some of the rocky rivers there.

i am most interested in the portability / storage aspect of the inflatables, as i live in an apartment with limited storage.

sooooo i am torn. i feel like i am drawn to some of the more boat-like elements of the i12s, but the sleekness, width, and stability of the i11s is also appealing. not really looking to sail the kayak, although i do love sailing, the idea of setting up the sail seems a bit fussy to me / would be more equipment i need to store.

it seems like there are a lot of acolytes of the i11s on this board, and also while i was calling around to dealers, most of them carry the i11s but few carry the i12s. i am not sure what that indicates, other that supply and demand, i suppose.

anyhow, very open to any input, as i am planning to buy this month! thank you.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

dry_sockets wrote:
hi all - still in the research phase on my purchase, but i am basically at the crossroads mentioned in the title of this thread.

airline travel is not really of great concern to me, though it would certainly be a bonus. i live in brooklyn, and will most often be fishing in the bays of south brooklyn, with the possibility of becoming braver and heading into the ocean once i get my sea legs.

i do head down to southwest virginia on a regular basis, and was entertaining the idea of bringing the kayak on some of the rocky rivers there.

i am most interested in the portability / storage aspect of the inflatables, as i live in an apartment with limited storage.

sooooo i am torn. i feel like i am drawn to some of the more boat-like elements of the i12s, but the sleekness, width, and stability of the i11s is also appealing. not really looking to sail the kayak, although i do love sailing, the idea of setting up the sail seems a bit fussy to me / would be more equipment i need to store.

it seems like there are a lot of acolytes of the i11s on this board, and also while i was calling around to dealers, most of them carry the i11s but few carry the i12s. i am not sure what that indicates, other that supply and demand, i suppose.

anyhow, very open to any input, as i am planning to buy this month! thank you.

If you're fishing, get the i11s.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:59 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

i am definitely fishing...and after a couple days of research i am leaning i11s!

plus the dealers closer to me have it in stock, vs the i12 which they would need to order.

probably going to get a blackpak to go with it, put all my stuff in there, hopefully resulting in a fairly portable / stowable bag and crate.