Return to Hobie.com

Hobie Forums

It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hulls that broach
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I thought of a likely advantage to the i11s hull shape. I bet it really resists a broach, that is to slew sideways from a wave. The below image shows a conventional kayak that originally was going straight left:

My i12s does this with steep aggressive waves over 3 feet. Originally I thought this was a factor of stern, keel, or rudder design but then read a book about how it is all in the bow design. Old power boat designs sometimes had a vertical knife like bow like my i12s and could broach when the bow dug in to create a pivot point for the stern be washed progressively sideways.

The i11s with it's horizontal spoon bow probably doesn't broach, just as my sit-down SUP of the same dimensions won't. Well, if a wave pushes you fast enough so that the Mirage drive is dragging you back, the Hobie rep here said any Mirage kayak could pivot. In really big waves without the drive, it surely could pearl dive. In my case I seem to pause vertically forever, then fall sideways which gives least resistance to the spoon bow. However I found something to try when vertical, which is to spin around into an upright "dry loop" instead of a crash:

Often broaching is thought of a landing danger into shorebreak, but I avoid that by jumping into water early. My problem is that most deep water has these steep waves a bit longer than my yak, especially in boat channels where whipping sideways when a big boat is passing can be alarming. Not from wakes, which are usually harmless even when huge, but from ocean waves funneling in. There should be some compensation from the long sharp i12s hull in the form of less resistance, and my SUP is surely slow in comparison.