Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Drive popping out
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 5:30 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

After one season on my i11s, the cables developed some play and the drive became sloppy, so I tightened everything up and it's running great except now the drive will pop out of the mirage well when pedaling against current/cross current randomly. First it was only the right side, now it's happening to the left and right with equal frequency.

Reading some older posts, I think when I tightened up all the cables the drum shaft isn't equal length on the right and left side. Some users recommended hammering the drum shaft back in place...do I have to loosen the cables before doing this? Are there videos?

Also reading about people shimming the well. Are you guys shimming the bottom of the slots where the drum shafts rest, or somewhere else?

Post subject: Re: Drive popping out
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 7:52 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I had some minor drive popping out issues early on and then one of the little springs on the retaining levers broke...my fix was to run a small bungee cord from each lever to the forward attach ring nearest the lever. These hold the little levers securely in the 'locked in' position and my drive has not popped out since. To remove the drive, I pull one lever back and 'lean' the drive so the pin on that side keeps the lever from going back to the locked position, then I pull the other side lever back and pull the drive up and out...cheers, roger

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 2:41 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

1. Tap as necessary to make sure the drum shaft is equal on both sides. No cable loosening is necessary.

2. Make sure your C&G levers operate freely -- lube as necessary

3. Check your drumshaft for unwanted rotation -- this can "walk" your Drive out from the locked position. To check this, mark your shaft with a Sharpie on the top and watch for any rotation when operating.

Depending on the age of your drumshaft, some of the older versions were smooth or modestly splined. If it rotates and is smooth, order a new one. If it rotates and is splined, you might try a little marine epoxy. To check, you can tap it out part way to see what the middle part looks like.

4. When inserting the Drive, make sure the levers are fully in the locked position. Wiggle Drive back and forth to verify.

If it still pops out, try any of the successful improvisional methods suggested by daft and rogerdodger. 8)

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 11:23 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks everyone, I'll try electric tape then bungee cord, in that order. I like easy solutions lol...