Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:12 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Good morning!

I just joined the forum to see if anyone might be able to shed some light on a steering issue I have with my i14T. I believe it is 3 years old - 2014 model. Many times when I am cruising along and try to turn right (by turning the hand control to the left) the rudder seems to get hung up and will not let me turn. If I lift the rudder out of the water and drop it back in that usually helps but it. used to work just fine. I'm thinking maybe something got twisted with the cabling or something like that. The cable to raise and lower the rudder seems a little loose and there is a pin just before the cables go into the rudder assembly that looks like maybe they should wrap around it instead of just being on either side...I wish I took a picture of that when I first got the boat! Any suggestions would be appreciated, and maybe a picture of how your rudder looks probably would be most helpful.

Thank you for reading!

One more thing while I'm posting - I have severe sciatica issues and the original seats are killing me. The seats on the newer models would be ideal but I was told by hobie last year that they cannot be retrofitted - any help in this area would REALLY be appreciated!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks, I'll look into both of those.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I took two pictures of the rudder and it is actually hitting the back of the kayak at the bottom. I can't figure out how to load the pictures on here but that would certainly make turning difficult. There must be a way to adjust this.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

[quote="daft"
A super comfy seat is SeaEagle inflatable deluxe kayak seat (a misnomer because it is the smaller of their 2 inflated seats - the other "fishing" one gives too high cg). I almost seem like a salesman with umpteen posts on it, but note how I have criticized their shipping fees. It's a brilliant design unlike any other I have seen because unlike the floppy L shapes, the back has sort of an A shape that won't deform or tilt.[/quote]

I meant to reply to this a long time ago and sorry for the delay. I cut off part of the rudder and fixed the steering issue and those inflatable seats made all the difference in the world, Sea Eagle, found them on Amazon, thanks for the tip!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This is for bobbing aimlessly, but I make occasional paddle strokes to change the view direction and let onlookers know not to report me as dead.

Perfect!