Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: First Flip in i11s
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:31 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

So after 1.5 years, I finally flipped the i11s coming back to the launch. This was a bayside beach that I've landed on over a dozen times, this particular day it was outgoing tide with 15 - 20mph south wind blowing directly onto the beach. No surf to speak of since wind/tide together.

What happened was: about 15 yard out from the beach, I pulled my drive, then pulled the rudder...as soon as I pulled rudder, boat spun sideways. I used paddle to correct course, then boat spun to the other side, presenting my port side towards the beach. Water streamed over the starboard side, and before I can plant my paddle again I went head over tits into the drink. So, no wave or chop tipped me, it was a slow tilt, then over.

I don't surf launch into the ocean, nor do I surf fish, so I have very little knowledge on how water behaves at a beach. 90% of my launch/landings are at calm bayside beaches and ramps. I think pulling rudder was my mistake under those conditions? Complete loss of control on the flat board once rudder is up...next time I'll uncleat the rudder but leave it down.

Here are the conditions while fishing about 1 hour before I flipped. I was pointed into the wind, using pedals to keep position, the beach is facing the same direction behind me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRUSoU7B8JI

Only loss were my 2 rod/reel setups (painful but now I have excuse to upgrade!), everything else was leashed down and survived. Any input/advice for future landings appreciated!

Post subject: Re: First Flip in i11s
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:19 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

bummer, and you are correct, pulling the rudder causes the boat to turn to port as the rudder swings around and flips up on top of the stern, it occurs on my Oasis also....I agree with your conclusion- the best option on the i11s is to release the rudder control rope from the cleat but don't pull the rudder up. This way, if the rudder hits the bottom (usually about the time you hop off), it can just pivot up without any damage...cheers, roger

ps- happy you didn't lose any of your sonar kit!

Last edited by rogerdodger on Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:04 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Quote:
the best option on the i11s is to release the rudder control rope from the cleat but don't pull the rudder up. This way, if the rudder hits the bottom (usually about the time you hop off), it can just pivot up without any damage...cheers, roger

Interesting... I didn't think of that... I can't for the life of me pull the rudder up or down from the seat... been manually doing it before launching and manually pulling it up when beaching.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:29 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

idonntnoe wrote:
I can't for the life of me pull the rudder up or down from the seat... been manually doing it before launching and manually pulling it up when beaching.
Try wiggling the rudder back and forth while you deploy or lift it. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:22 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

rogerdodger wrote:
bummer, and you are correct, pulling the rudder causes the boat to turn to port as the rudder swings around and flips up on top of the stern, it occurs on my Oasis also....I agree with your conclusion- the best option on the i11s is to release the rudder control rope from the cleat but don't pull the rudder up. This way, if the rudder hits the bottom (usually about the time you hop off), it can just pivot up without any damage...cheers, roger

roger, the sonar kit stayed firmly planted, no issues whatsoever. The inner bungee popped off, but the outer bungee + rudder lines kept it in position; very redundant design!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:44 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

reason162 wrote:
rogerdodger wrote:

roger, the sonar kit stayed firmly planted, no issues whatsoever. The inner bungee popped off, but the outer bungee + rudder lines kept it in position; very redundant design!

big smile!