Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is my i9s a goner?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:47 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I was pumping the middle chamber of my 2009 i9s when I heard a "pop" and now air comes out the scupper holes when I try and pump it up.
I did nothing different than I have over the last 8 years.

Is my i9 no more? Has it ceased to be? Expired...gone to meet it's maker? Shuffled off this mortal coil? Is it an ex-i9s?

Not the way I wanted to celebrate the 4th of July.

Post subject: Re: Is my i9s a goner?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:45 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
middle chamber of my 2009 i9s

Floor chamber? There is a valve up forward that is a drain and not intended to be pressurized. Maybe you pumped up the bilge?

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

No...I was filling the middle air valve (not the drain]. Everything was going fine. It was almost completely filled. Then <<pop>> and the air leaked out the upper and lower scupper holes. Now it won't hold any air unless I block the scupper holes and then it will only hold a little air before it starts leaking out the drain valve up forward. Feels like something inside the kayak is broken.

I emailed Hobie support and they suggested a repair kit. But there's nothing I can reach to repair. I can't afford a new i9s so if it's not repairable I'll strip it down and try to sell the parts. The V2 Mirage drive is in great shape.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

you got to have someone else help pump the thing while you figure out exactly where the leak is coming from I guess. Or take it to a dealer and see if they can help you patch it up, but you still got to figure out where the leak is at...Pump the side up too, so tie boat is slightly rigid and easier for you to identify the actual leak. If you can find it, most dealers will have repair kit that can actually close the gap enough so you can continue to use it. Usually cost less than try to get a new boat.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

hobie sells hull-only?

that's good to know!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Does anyone know of a place or person in the NY/NJ/CT area that can repair a Hobie inflatable? Just in terms of minimizing my ecological footprint, I'd prefer to repair the one I own than dispose of it in a landfill and buy a new one.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:34 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Three Belles Outfitters in Niantic, CT may be able to help you out. They are the biggest Hobie dealer on the East coast. They sell inflatables but I'm not sure if they repair them. Might be worth looking them up and calling. I'm in the same boat as you (pun intended). I have a leak in the center chamber of my i12S right next to the mirage drive well. I've located the leak but can't access it to place a patch without cutting the bilge open. I'm debating whether or not its even worth the effort. I've already replaced it with a 2017 Revo 11. I might try and sell the inflatable as is for cheap money or sell the V2 drive, paddle, seat, etc. individually for a few bucks. It's too bad, the i12S was a great little boat.