Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I added a half wish bone boom made of PVC and a genoa kit from Kayaksailor.com. Need to add a club foot or half wishbone batten to the genoa. https://www.dropbox.com/s/88g8a1qg8y08b ... t.jpg?dl=0

Last edited by catskyer on Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My background includes windsurfing and a Melonseed skiff. Its sprit boom is straight. The Melonseed sail cut puts the boom much lower toward the foot of the sail so the dirty area below the boom when it's to windward is quite small. With the Hobie sail, the boom is much higher and like a windsurfer to my eye. To save weight, I just used a half wish bone boom. It works fine. Leg-O-Mutton refers to the sail shape, a three sided sail with a high clew.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Picked up a couple new I9S's last week and some sail kits.

I'm going to attempt to paint one black using outdoor upholstery paint and see how it takes. Kinda feeling a pirate theme look. Really tempted to tint some white inflatable boat paint (top coat and bottom) brown to mimic wood :)

I'm interested in that furling mod, I had ideas of doing something along those lines after finding out that the official kit only works for the hard kayaks.

Only other thing i was thinking of maybe doing was adding a small pcv pipe ring around the base of the mast and attach a small arm to it with a rope to the top of the mast ...so when letting the sail tension off and pulling it back towards the mast, I can spin the arm around the base and it would wrap the rope around the sail to secure it ... ugly but I figured it could work.

Unless of course, i'm overestimating how much work it is to just take the sail down and stow it on the side like the instructions say.

Also, going to take some detailed measurements of these sales with the idea of making some spares in the not too distant future. Definitely not a fan of the color selection and the logos all over everything. Especially the logos.

Has anyone attached skid plates to help with beaching or is that not generally a problem?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So, using the paint below, I can make a couple observations on this little "mod"

1. This is more like ink than paint. The spray paint is expensive and coverage is poor so you need 3-4 cans to do 1 sail front and back. The spray is not a nice mist and spits more than anything I've ever sprayed before. The spray is negatively effected by fast motions in any direction. Really, i've never sprayed something that behaved so poorly and cost this much per can. That being said, despite the poor performance, it seemed to work.

2. Once dried, the upholstery paint seems to do exactly what it's supposed to do. Despite the spitting and uneven coverage, it seems to dry uniform - though I still need to take it out in the sun and see how it looks when light is pushing thru. I also just painted over the hobie logo and name since I didn't want to damage new sails by attempting to remove them.

I wont be able to test them in the water until next weekend. Initial minor testing seems to show that it will be able to be rolled up and all without cracking, but I'll give it a good day or two before attempting that fully. It feels exactly like it felt before painting when moving it around. And I still have to add my stencil'd logo. But I'm hopeful that it will perform well considering initial feel.

17usd

400+ usd

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:08 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

i have the larger rudder and turbo fins on both already because I read it would be best to have those with a sailing setup.

The OP seemed to suggest that finding a solution to avoiding tying off the sail (or just to hold it without having it fly out of your hands) a good thing to figure out.

What about the Karver flying cam cleat?
https://wavetrain.net/2011/11/30/karver ... iple-uses/

if the rope width is compatible, I'd totally look into this option.

Really tempted to make my own version. They're charging 80 bucks for a 15 dollar cam cleat that has a molded plastic cover. Could bend some steel around a normal one and attach it to the base and have the same exact thing.