Return to Hobie.com

Hobie Forums

It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Are there some nonobvious lessons you have figured out for using inflatables? I am making this list because I am teetering from the figure-out phase to the forget phase.

1) Don't twist any valve to accept air (to "closed" position, oddly enough) until you are immediately going to fill that valve. In other words, don't twist all valves to the fill position at once, then sequentially fill them. That would be the obvious way to do it after forgetting a few (in "open" position) and losing all the hard won pressure after you detach the pump.

Actually my i12s may be completely forgiving twisting all 3 valves at once, but from experience with other craft there still may be a hidden advantage. Inflating one chamber may try to enlarge an adjacent unfilled chamber. If the other valve is open then it can gently suck in air to relieve stress and give you a head start with inflation. But if the other valve was prematurely set closed, it can (at least on some non-Hobie models) just twist and distort while the inflating chamber tries to pull at the adjacent chamber locked in a vacuum.

2) Carry your housekey afloat, securely attached to body with lanyard or whatever. Police say it is common in vehicle breakins for the thief to locate a housekey and your registration address, and make a beeline for your home (maybe in their own vehicle and at a later time). They say to ask them to post a guard there until you can return, but I think they will often be tied up with higher priorities when it happens.

I don't know what you do with vehicle key/electronics, but police say the realtor lock box on a vehicle is easily and often broken into. I carry a backup physical key afloat, but it won't work on my hatch. I carry a lithium car booster battery for times I don't have enough juice to open or lock the hatch to protect the boat in certain weird situations. I guess I will get max tint on my next hauling vehicle for stealth and heat on that expensive pile of pvc.

3) There is an important tip I am forgetting, which I hopefully can add in later. Hmm, was it on what a great hydrater applesauce is? It seems to meter out liquid slowly as needed thru the day. Longs drug sells affordable plastic bottles of "Treetop" small enough to carry onboard, if you don't down it all during a hot setup. Slurpable with no spoon.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

4) Being responsible can lead to a false arrest on a traffic stop, so don't speed. Do you fold up your wet hull on shady soft grass rather than dust and gravel? Police can interpret the clippings that get transfered to your car as cannabis "shakes". Do you carry a wad of cash for some reluctant farmer to pull you out of a ditch with a tractor? Do you carry white pills in an opened, expired aspirin bottle due to experts here calling it essential first aid for a stroke? Police see this as evidence of dealing narcotics, and can confiscate your vehicle, cash, and kayak... like what probably happened to these paddlers: