Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2017 i12s folding
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I swear I'm not an idiot, but I can't get my 2017 i12s back in the bag following the directions. I've watched the video on the support page, but that's almost a totally different boat to the new i12s. The big difference is in the boat width: in the video, the kayak is about as wide as the bag. My i12s is a full 8 inches wider than the bag. So do I:

1. Fold it like the video, and then jam it down into the bag by folding the sides upward while it is folded? That looks like I'm stressing the side seams, and it is pretty tough to crush it into the bag.
2. Or fold the sides inward while it is flat in thirds so it is as wide as the bag, then fold the ends in? That looks like it stresses around the seat fittings and is a pain in the booty to keep in place while folding, since the lengthwise folds are slippery?

A new video would be awesome.

Thanks,
Brian

Post subject: Re: 2017 i12s folding
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I second that your iSeries yak will soften up a bit after several times of inflating/deflating/folding. Also, do your best to tuck the side pontoons in toward the center of the kayak when folding. This will buy you some space in the bag. Also, the i12 packs back up more efficiently with the air completely pushed out. The best way to achieve full deflation is to use the deflate action on one of our electric pumps we offer.

Bravo Electric Pump
Part No. 494526-00
Retail US $279.00
12V pump inflates to selected pressure setting and stops pumping automatically when fully inflated.

i-Inflation Pump

Part No. 79052005
Retail US $41.99
12V pump with inflate/deflate actions

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Righty-o, #2 got it in the bag. I think I'll tie the side handles together to keep them in during folding, because it slips out otherwise.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I had trouble with mine as well at the beginning and finally I ignored the video, did some folding tests and follow this now and it works. Sorry, no video ...

But : the best tip is what HStrech mentioned already : get a cheap pump to deflate the boat, it is a lot smaller.

Only it its very cold, it will turn into a plank ...

cu

Uwe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:38 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

OK Hobie, It's now 2017... and the i12s is a newer design that the one featured in your how-to-fold video (whiich appear to be from 2012!) My 2017 i12s has a thick, rather stiff heavy rubber keel. Maybe someone at Hobie could take the time to shoot a new video? I have not succeeded in re-folding my kayak since May, when I got it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:43 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Why don't my posts appear on this forum, ever? (update 7/21 18:40: Thanks to the Administrator for approving me/my posts!)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

ehh my i11s don't even have the fold procedure on the bag. I just video taped the action when it first came out the bag, so that is how I put it back in.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:22 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

kd5crs wrote:
I can't get my 2017 i12s back in the bag following the directions. The big difference is in the boat width
The original boat was also wider than the bag. Here's an better way to bag your boat IMO -- hopefully this will solve the problem on your new model as well. You'll find it much easier to put the bag over the boat then work the bag up from underneath. Residual air in the boat never seemed to be an issue -- it all came out when it needed to. Give it a try.

1. Fold the boat

2. Place the bag on top of the folded boat. Note the boat appears to be bigger than the bag

3. Tuck the corners in like a fitted bed sheet and pull the bag over the rest of the boat

4. Flip the package and fasten the straps

8)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Checkerboard wrote:
Maybe someone at Hobie could take the time to shoot a new video?

Agreed!