Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: i11s Steering Problem
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:15 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My i11s developed a steering problem a few months after I got it. There is about 2" or 30- degrees of "play" in the steering handle, and then it takes a lot of force to turn the rudder. And when the handle is set for straight travel, the rudder also has play, so it will not hold course. I complained to the dealer, but he insisted the steering was normal. I checked the steering on an inflatable in the store, and it was so much easier than mine, so I brought mine in show them, and they tried to repair it. They told me that when they opened the handle assembly, there was some kind of jam inside (I wasn't there to see, so I am not sure exactly what the problem was). It seemed to work well when I picked it up and they showed me in the shop, and when I got it on the water, it did work fine for a little while, but after a couple of hours, the problem returned and is just as bad as before. Has anyone else had an issue with the steering handle on the i11s.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Who is the dealer? Do you have a serial number - I'd be happy to look to see if there's a claim in the system and figure out the path forward. We can always get it back here at the factory and re-work the steering system back to factory settings.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

daft wrote:
I have the "old" steering technology of an ageing i12s, but if there are any parallels, I would say take total ownership of how your steering works and adjusting it. It is vital to me that there is nearly 0 slack in the steering or else the boat wanders. Mine stretched a lot when new, so I had to take up slack at the rudder end. Pay attention to which way the lines are wrapped around the screws; maybe take a picture for reference before you change anything.

I agree that one should know how the steering works and be able to adjust. I do; I am. That is not an issue. There was slack, and I fixed that with no trouble. This is a different thing. First there was slack and no rudder movement, then it was very, very stiff to move. It is all a moot point now, because I was trying to explain the situation to Hobie by email and while moving the steering handle to measure the amount of play, something inside gave, and all tension is gone. The handle turns but the rudder does not move at all. It is not an "adjustment" issue; there's trouble. :o

Jbernier wrote:
Who is the dealer? Do you have a serial number - I'd be happy to look to see if there's a claim in the system and figure out the path forward. We can always get it back here at the factory and re-work the steering system back to factory settings.

Jacques - Thanks, but you and I have already exchanged some emails about this. You've been very helpful, and the kayak was dropped off at the dealer today.

I appreciate how responsive Hobie has been about this. I've always said that any product can have issues, no matter how well made; the measure of a company is not if a product has a problem, but how the company responds to a problem. Hobie has responded well in this case.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I thought you might be the same user - thx, we try our best. When I saw this post I thought you might be the same person who I'd already spoken with - we will get the kayak and make the needed repairs, no charge.