Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Might want to get one of these. But I would want store it inflated (or just slightly deflated) and cartop it to and from the water. I can build any sort of support needed (longintudinal, carpeted rails, for instance) across the car rack bars, and would simply hoist the car rails up over my car in the carport (as I used to do with my early AI1). Using a Harken hoist.

I really don't want to pack and unpack every time. Thought it wouldn't be fast (short and a lot of wetted surface), I guess you could use it as a very stable SUP as well?

Can anybody speak to this? Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

i wonder if i would do this...only because i would be scared at highway speeds the hull might bend against the wind. another worry might be if the wind caught the rudder assembly and put undue stress on the steering mechanism / spectra lines. i think if you kept your speeds low it would be okay-ish? maybe face the rudder assembly forward so it trails in the wind?

i will say this, it's really not that hard to inflate and deflate. you don't necessarily have to put it back in the rolling bag. would be easy to just fold it a couple times and toss it into the back of the vehicle.

the i11s is quite quick in the water. it is very light, and the buoyancy combined with the mirage drive makes it fast and efficient.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You could store partially inflated and then inflate and car top for a short distance.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We had an inflatable sailboat, an inflatable 4 person dingy, and a couple inflatable kayaks, (cheap ones, not hobies of course). My opinion is the act of folding and rolling all that stuff up is harder on the seams, ( the seams are always the first thing to go, and the boat is usually scrap once the seams go).
If it could be stored partially inflated, that might be a good thing.
I kicked the tires on one of those boats at the dealer, ( thought seriously about buying one).
My oninion is when inflated the thing is amazingly rigid, I can’t imagine not being able to car top locally, not sure about long highway trips though, ( I would be cautious about that), I’ve seen a lot of kayaks blown off car roofs, (it’s a common thing on Florida highways, (pretty much everyone has kayaks here).
FE

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you all. Appreciate the feedback. My dealer says car topping is fine, but I get the issues about the rudder in a headwind and stability on the roof in sidewinds. If it's fastened front and back, and strapped with wide straps across--seems like it could be stable. I mostly go to lakes within 45 minutes. Yes I would deflate and pack for longer highway trips. Interesting about folding maybe affecting the seams.

Read several posts about rudder control issues. Dealer says those are solved (Hobie says to him). And it's very nice to hear that the boat can move out a bit. I believe I'll probably come home with one tomorrow. Again thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Oh... and the thing I don't like about putting these kinds of boats deflated in the back of my wagon is that the thing is often wet and weedy or sandy. Don't want to have to deal with that every time.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mikereddy wrote:
Oh... and the thing I don't like about putting these kinds of boats deflated in the back of my wagon is that the thing is often wet and weedy or sandy. Don't want to have to deal with that every time.

My problem is the space, apart from the sand, the smell of fish and water, plus there are four people in the car, there is no space for anything, only the kayak occupies the entire trunk.
I have used it several times without problems, three straps and a tensioner in bow and stern.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:15 pm 
Site Admin

Maybe one time... not for a season. The UV exposure alone is bad, but inflated and in the heat will over-inflate too. Stresses from high speed car topping... all not a great idea for an inflatable.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:
Maybe one time... not for a season. The UV exposure alone is bad, but inflated and in the heat will over-inflate too. Stresses from high speed car topping... all not a great idea for an inflatable.

I agree, but driving with the kayak for 3 miles to the river, at city speeds, with a pressure that does not exceed 2 psi, I do not see any problem.
I would not like to get on the highway with him, that's for sure.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:26 am 
Site Admin

Then the UV exposure?

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:
Then the UV exposure?

If I was worried about ultraviolet radiation, I would sail at night.
I can avoid 10 minutes of radiation in the kayak while I transport it in the car, but I can not do anything during the 4 or 5 hours that the kayak is in the water.
Nothing is eternal and the kayaks have an average life of approximately 10 years ??? Maybe less if you have an internal leak that is unlocatable. I'm going to deal with that as best I can during that time, but I'm not going to worry about things that are inevitable.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:05 pm 
Site Admin

As long as it is not on the car 24-7... that was my worry.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)