Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: i11s Inflation pressures
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Pick up a new version of the i11s yesterday and will get it first in the water tomorrow. It was a showroom model, so already inflated. The dealer just had it inflated till if was "really hard" sitting on the stand. I think I read somewhere about the proper pressures. Was it 3 for the middle and and 5-6psi for the side chanbers? But regardless, what kind of pressure gauge is it that can measure this anyway? The pump furnished is obviously large and efficient. But no real way to measure pressure.

These kinds of boats have tended to sag and wallow in the middle in my past experience. Since I do want to standup paddle it also, I would like it as stiff as possible without causing damage.

Anybody have any tips or experience with this? Thanks very much.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:18 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Daft for the good info. Do you have a link to the post on the gauges? Howie Stretch, since gauges seem problematic, and I have now heard different recommendations for inflation pressures for the i11s, what sort of limits or rules of thumb can Hobie offer? Are there longer term dangers from overinflation? Is there some sort of "squeeze test" for the right ball park? Again the dealer just filled my showroom model up until it was "really tight."

Got the i11s in the water first time yesterday. Seems like a really well thought out, well put together boat (board?). Stiff, and scoots along even with the stock fins (I have turbo fins and a dolly on order). The rudder controls are stiff and mushy as received. Up/down is very hard. I'll bring the boat into the shop today and see if I can lube and/or tweek these. The boat (with utterly flat bottom and no keel or skeg) has a tendency to yaw. Possibly pedaling/paddling with the SUP fin in place might reduce that a bit.

I would like to keep this i11s in good shape for a number of years cause I like it. So somebody please share with me what's been learned about inflation pressures. Thanks very much. And thank you Hobie. This is my 5th boat over the years (H16, AI1, TI, AI2, and now i11s). Still have the AI2 as well (others sold onward). But sometimes in midsummer we just have no wind around here, and the i11s is a great exercise platform on the water.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

having asked this question earlier in the forum, the official answer for pressures is 5 for the center, 3 for the sides. the idea of these pressures is that as the boat heats in the sun, you have a little give left for the air to expand.

i have this gauge and it works perfectly for the i11s. it even has the 5 and 3 psi readings marked on the face! i keep it in the little zip pocket of my mirage drive bag.

https://www.amazon.com/ULKEME-Pressure- ... 3EQ2F7NXVW

i find 5 psi just to be the tiniest bit floppier than the pressure i used to pump my boat up to before the gauge, but i am happy to know that i am extending the life of the boat. i have noticed no performance change at 5 psi.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Daft and Dry_Sockets. Sorry I've been away from this a few days. I ordered this, suggested by dry sockets, but it won't get here for 6 weeks or more, coming from South Africa apparently.

https://www.amazon.com/ULKEME-Pressure- ... 3EQ2F7NXVW'

Ordered and received a different one from Senreal, but it does not fit. So this is what Daft was saying. Looks in the ballpark but does not work. Sending it back.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CW ... UTF8&psc=1

OK here's a question about the "heating up of the boat" on the water. This is a strange idea to me, because where I live anyway, the water temperature is low 70's at best. So since much of the boat is submerged in a high density, cool, highly conductive liquid, what makes people conclude that radiant heating from the sun is going to outway the cooling effects of the water??