Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:00 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi everybody,
Do you think it is reasonable to buy an i12s hobie with the intention of doing offshore fishing (to go up to 2 miles offshore in mediterranean sea) ?
Especially since I'll probably be alone.
Do any of you have the experience ?
I thought of installing H rails that will fix sidekicks to improve stability. Also in case I use the sail. But are the sidekicks really useful for an i12?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have the old style i12s, which possibly is more stable due to lower seating and possibly has 2 additional self bailing scuppers. My comfort level is about a mile offshore, or a bit less under sail. I avoid strong offshore winds, like those named ones I have seen off France and Greece. And I lose rudder authority in steep 3+ foot waves - the stern just slews around even with the optional large rudder (get!). But with a good wx forecast I can imagine kayaking almost anywhere offshore Italy, which seems so often placid.

I haven't felt the need for sidekicks but rather waves from the side can interfere with steering, especially when sailing upwind where the forward component force isn't strong. There is little talk about waves in this forum, but 3 feet seems to be the common trouble area, like in this video about another Hobie model https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZWZAkyyhYU . I have handled occasional giant waves of about 10 feet by turning into them and pedaling hard just before they broke - fun but dangerous.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:44 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you for your reply.
Have you been able to experience a kayak like the Outback or the Compass?
How do you feel comparatively on the i12?
In terms of stability, navigability and ease of passage of water over the side balloons.
Do you feel as well "protected" like in a hard version ?
Is it as comfortable as on a hard kayak? I didn't try the i2 yet. But according to photos, I have the impression that we find ourselves much more "sit on top" on an inflatable ? ...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My other experience in kayaks is quite unusual, so I can't compare too well. Also I seem to have worse ability to balance than others, even on land. I built my first 2 sit-in kayaks, and the plywood one designed by a neighbor yacht designer was too high, wide, and stable compared to i12s so I converted it to tandem. My only standard plastic one (modular Point 65 Tequila sit-on) seems much more tippy than i12s, probably since I am at the weight limit and even small waves wash in faster than can drain out.

My first experience with an inflatable (dinghy) was scary, as the captain who took me into seacaves under crashing surf called it a "deflatable" due to active leaks. But due to practicality I committed to Hobie i12s inflatable, and was pleased enough to buy various other inflatable boats and SUPs. I haven't had any air leaks except one seam leak on a new inflatable wind surfer, which repaired well even with it's higher pressure.

The Hobie can pedal quite fast especially with optional turbo fins, as I probably exerted too much force almost keeping up with 6 paddle outrigger canoes. OC6s are extremely fast and seemed to beat an optimized hard shell Hobie in a recent race video on this forum. My mirage drive enlarged it's mounting holes in the forward direction, and now occasionally pops out, but this was due to cave man adrenaline excess.

As far as tippiness, it is wide enough to only get tender with high CG. Yours will come with a hard frame seat that adjusts up and down. Mine came with a floppy seat on floor, which I substituted with a luxurious inflatable seat. A high one was very tippy, but a medium one is fine. So I cannot predict exactly how tippy your version is with different seat and smaller side chambers to accommodate that wide seat. Maybe the small chambers give a more stable square cross section. Only really becomes a concern to me under sail with gusts and waves.

Water drains out fine thru the mirage drive and my scuppers, but I think Hobie eliminated the scuppers as air leak hazards on your model. If you get a puddle in the rear, you may want to put cargo on the bow to divert water towards your drive hole. Also my bow sits elevated above the water sometimes, which probably slows it down.