Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:52 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all, had my i12 for about 5 years of lots of kayaking on the high lakes in the sierra and sloughs on the coast Last year it started to take on water into the bilge below the air bladders. I tested the scuppers by putting rubber corks into the scupper bottoms and pouring water in the top. The water on the right stayed there and the water poured into the scupper on the left disappeared. It did not go on the ground and I later drained it out by tipping the kayak up at the bow with the bottom facing up.

So there is a leak in the left scupper. One solution is to just put corks in the top and bottom and seal it off. I will be testing that soon. We do not tend to get water into the cockpit so having one scupper sealed would not be a problem. This is likely what I will do unless I get a better idea. I have been looking for a diagram of the scupper to see what it looks like inside. If anyone has one I would like to see it.

As far as my satisfaction is concerned, these inflatables are fantastic products. In addition to the i12 we have a 19 and purchased a new i12, i.e. without the forward cutty. Unfortunately the new one was blown off the car in a high wind storm and ended up in a huge patch of poison oak. The end.

We use a hobie sail with the i12 and put the i9 and i12 together to make an inflatable catamaran.

My only warning is that if you venture into the high country make sure you stop every 1000 feet of altitude to let off pressure so you do not damage your air valves and seams.

Thank you for any thoughts or ideas, Dave

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:34 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Daft, I plugged the left scupper and there was still an air leak from the center bladder. I will have to wait to test the scupper but I expect that should work. I can get a couple of good pressure on the central bladder and always take the pump along to repressure. Cheaper than a new one. Dave

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Dave I've a 2010 i12s. Other than a small portion of the upper seal around the mirage drive this boat has been well worth it's effort and attributes. After 6 months of use I had the same issue. Water in the bilge. I used the same tactic and plugged the suspect scupper yet found more water. A lot of water! Even after extra sealant around the bottom scupper the was water entering the bilge. Apparently the scupper tube inside the bilge had come apart. How I've no idea and it doesn't matter. The problem was taken care of by cutting a length of surgical tubing to slide into the scupper holes. The tubing extends a quarter inch out of each scupper hole. They're still low enough to drain any water on the deck. The bilge hasn't filled with water since. Threading the tubing thru the deck side and bottom scupper holes was a little tricky yet accomplished within an hours effort. Hope that helps.