Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So, I saw this post https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic. ... 9&start=30 and read the california DMV and it seems pretty clear that I'm going to have to register my I9S's since they're over 8ft and can be powered by sail.

Fortunately, I wont have to pay property taxes on my inflatable kayaks since as far as the Orange County tax laws say, if it is valued at under 3k, it doesn't get taxed. So yay for me there I guess.

Anyone have anything written saying that this isn't the case for our boats? The dealer I purchased everything from never mentioned us needing to register, and I plan on asking them about it tomorrow.

ca dmv : https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detai ... fo/boatreg

oc tax : http://www.ocgov.com/gov/assessor/perso ... watercraft

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:47 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Argghh! It would be fitting to not follow the rule :)

Can you imagine having to pay property taxes on an inflatable boat that easily fits in the trunk of a car? If they include all the mods, i'm sure i'd be close if not over the 3k limit. But i dont think you can add up removable items you attach to something when dictating the object's value except for insurance purposes. I'd go by how they value home properties, the addition has to be permanent.

How would you differentiate a hobie "kayak" sail setup from a traditional small sailboat?

Would the law have to be written so that boats that are inflatable are exempt if sailing is not the sole form of travel?

Would we want to expand it to include hardbody kayaks with the sailing kit? If so, how do you differentiate those from traditional sail boats in a way that wouldn't allow a traditional sailboat to skirt by with an oar even if it would never practically be able to be rowed anywhere?

I'm not sure you could make a loophole for sailing kayaks that wouldn't also encompass most small sailboats. Although, one could argue that maybe the length limit should not be the only measurement to base the rule on. Length + height of boat would probably easily exempt kayaks and other "toys" while keeping traditional boats and such under the rule.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I think what could be done, since those who enforce the laws aren't going to be intimately familiar with every single boat out there would be that the sail kit includes an exception ribbon that is attached to the very top of the sail.

This can be some type of reflective material not currently commonly used for anything else. Then anyone viewing the kayak from the shore or in other boats can as easily see as when they would be reading your registration number that you are exempt from needing a registration number since your sail fails to meat the minimum criteria.

Though we'd still need a wording of the criteria that excludes such things as kayaks without including small legit sailboats.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:42 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Unfortunately, I dont think i can underestimate the boredom of southern california's park rangers and harbor police. Especially considering the other posts that mention actually getting cited came from california recently.

Upon looking at the registration form, I'm kind of torn between what type of propulsion I have to pick. They have "Auxiliary + Sail" a bunch of others that dont apply ... "Sail Only" and "Other". I'm guessing Aux + Sail is what I would be picking, even though the sail is technically a secondary form of propulsion and not the primary. For hull type i'll have to pick Other, since they dont have an option for inflatable pvc. This is ridiculous for a blow up boat. Asking for some kind of bill of sale / title for it is ....stupid sounding. I'm going to feel stupid for bringing it up at the dealer today.

It would be convenient if the I9S was a few inches short of actually being 9 ft...then I'd be excluded by length. (edit, ack. the limit is 8ft not 9ft. Would have to be much shorter i guess. )

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Dealer mentioned something about there being a rule about the sail height must be 15ft for this to matter and that's just not dispalyed on the websites.

I'm not sure if that's legit or if it's one of those things like how everyone in California gets limo tint all around even though it's illegal and cops dont care unless they're looking for an excuse to hassle you for something else.

I guess i'll forget about this law until harassed. ARghhh!