Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Replacement Seat
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Mirage i12s inflatable - can I replace the seat with a metal framed seat? The deck width seems to be only 15 inches so I’m leaning towards hacking a stadium seat or canoe seat. Has anyone done this ? All suggestions welcomed. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Replacement Seat
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:45 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

What I did was use a SeaEagle inflatable seat, which gives glorious back support due to a kind of pyramid rear shape. A simple L shaped rigid seat will just want to tip over backwards, or rip your anchor points if you don't make wooden rails or the like. A simple strap over the small inflato seat holds it except for a bit rocking left and right.

Best not to use their largest size due to high CG, although maybe that is just my height. It's preferable to never deflate it due to 2 bladders being kind of fussy to align with cover geometry. Don't let SeaEagle charge you a fortune for shipping - they had the seats incorrectly listed as needing an oversize box which you can convince them is not needed.

Thanks for reminding me... now I can perhaps use it on an itrek 9 for more legroom. I can also use the original i12s floppy seat as a footrest on non-mirage sit-down paddleboards. I will lay it on it's back and have the seat vertical.

Post subject: Re: Replacement Seat
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:03 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

For a low cg project I am trying to nest 2 soft seats together, which I happen to have on hand. Only a dry test so far, but looks like it may work if I interweave straps the right way. You can leave a triangular gap between seatbacks which resists lean in a kind of a shearing action.