Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:42 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Recently put deposit down on two (2) ITrek 9 Ultralights, I am 6'4" and wife is 5' tall. Does Hobie have a way to size adjustability of Mirage Drive on Itrek Kayak from body dimensions (such as inseam) since none of the dealers in northeast have product? Real concern is with short wife who we have had difficulty fitting to bikes. Obviously interested in the ITrek 9 but feel free to define "fitting" for the entire series as others are probably interested.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:37 pm 
Site Admin

MirageDrive pedals are adjusted fore or aft to fit the user's leg lengths. Generic instructions:

I like to get in the boat and adjust one leg nearly fully extended... knee still slightly bent. Then adjust the opposite side to the same setting number. The boats vary as do people, so there is not position chart. For the two of you though... likely all the way forward and the other all the way aft as a guess.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Matt, Thank you for response, I did know about the pedal adjustment and in fact wife sat in a Pro Angler 12 with pedals adjusted all the back and could just reach them without pushing forward hence out concern. So Hobie does not publish a value for its Mirage Drive Kayaks similar to automobiles with their leg and head clearances? Granted these are for tall people in automobiles which is why my wife must also verify she can reach pedals in a vehicle with seat all the way up.
If she required forward movement for using Mirage Drive do you have a cushion you would recommend?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:12 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

If outside the range of adjustment you can partly address with shoe and pfd types. For short legs you might try thick soled clogs and a life vest with padding way down the back. They are getting rarer, but I bought one at a warehouse store due to low price and found it pushed (tall) me too far forward in the seat of a non-itrek.

With my extremely long legs I not only go with thin soles but soon gonna try a "no back" life vest. That is because even if padding only touches the top crossbar of the seatback, it can angle me forward into already raised thighs. Noback type can still buoy up the back of neck and head. So maybe beware of the typical mid or high back paddler vests in favor of fullback or noback.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:21 pm 
Site Admin

Correct. The size fit across the line is not documented by us. The Pro Angler is a bit longer, so she will easily fit the i-Trek. We had a Lumbar pad for the Pro Angler but not sure if we have any left. The inventory says 2 (counted in November). 84500011 LUMBAR PAD PRO ANGLER $62

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)