Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all,

I'm getting a 2020 i9s, and I need to figure out which Kayak Cart is the best for this specific Hobie Kayak Model.

I understand the Inflatable Cart made by Hobie isn't so great, I think largely due to the type of tires. However, this video shows the Hobie Inflatable Cart with Sand Tires: https://youtu.be/im-HKvnlHVg?t=397

Is the Hobie Inflatable Cart with Sand Tires available for purchase? And would this Cart be the best choice for a 2020 i9s?

I did some research, and aside from the Hobie Carts, it looks like the Wilderness Systems Kayak Kart is popular, and some users think it's the best: https://www.wildernesssystems.com/us/pr ... lat-wheels

https://www.amazon.com/Wilderness-Syste ... yword=best

Would this Wilderness Systems Kayak Kart be the best choice, even over a Hobie Cart?

There's some sand where I live, but I don't want to deal with tires going flat, so would the Wilderness Systems Kayak Kart with "No Flat Wheels" be the best choice, and still work on sand?

Let me know which Kayak Cart you think would be best for a 2020 i9s, thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:28 pm 
Site Admin

80045101 i-SERIES / ECLIPSE PLUG-IN CAR

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The i-series cart with inflatable wheels looks to be available on Amazon for instance

I've also wondered about the c-tug cart with the wider sand wheels. Solid so no worries about them going flat. I also wonder about the i-cart plugging into the drive bay and all the pressure there at the seems depending what all is loaded on the inflatable. Sorry about more added questions than answers.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Ted,

Thanks for replying, and no worries.

I've looked at the C-Tug Cart too, but it seems like the Wilderness Systems Heavy-Duty Kayak Kart is the highest rated one I've found so far. You can filter the Reviews at Amazon where some users give their opinion on the two.

I'm leaning towards going with the Wilderness Systems Heavy-Duty Kayak Kart with the "No-Flat Wheels", since those wheels seem like they might do well enough on some sand.

If anybody else has some more input, please let me know.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:31 am 
Site Admin

By far the plug-in Hobie version is easiest to use and has plenty of capacity for the i-Series kayaks.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:51 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I couldn't find the Hobie cart (back-ordered) so I ended up getting a Pelican cart, which works but is quite bulky and doesn't fold for transport. SO I have a Hobie cart on order - hopefully the supply chain and transport issues will resolve and I can have the slim profile and plugin capability of the Hobie cart.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:51 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I like the Hobie plug-in cart for my 2017 model Hobie i12s. I've used it over the last five years and taken it over moderately difficult portages in Ontario's lake country -- uneven paths, some mud, tree roots all over, stones, etc. I find that pulling the kayak along from the stern grab handle lets the boat bounce along as I go. The bars that fit easily underneath the drive housing are long enough not to "pop out" on gnarly terrain. Best practice is to lighten up the load on the sit-on-top deck as much as possible, leaving only the attached seat, light gear, and maybe the drive. Everything else goes on my back in a dry pack.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:46 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks for the tips CanuckHobiei12s. I have since received my plug-in carts but the weather has turned in the NW and I won't be able to try them until next year. Looking forward to it though!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've just been using the i9s rolling bag, and haven't had to use a kayak cart yet, but has nobody tried the Wilderness Systems Heavy Duty Kayak Kart?

Going by the photos, it seems like the wheels on it are better than the wheels on the Hobie Cart, but I haven't compared them side by side in person.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:10 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The Wilderness Systems Heavy Duty Kayak Kart is similar to (but more expensive) than the Pelican Deluxe Cart, which I used this year. It works well enough but these types of carts are very bulky. The Hobie cart is much more compact because it plugs in and doesn't need the extra "arms". I'm hoping it will work as well as the Pelican and will store more easily both on the board as well as in the car.