Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: iTrek 11 Availability
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I’ve placed an order with deposit for two iTrek i11 kayaks last year and was promised January delivery. It is now April and all I keep getting is notices of delays on delivery. Does anybody know what the real story is with these kayaks? Should I be canceling and looking for an alternative? This is crazy. Had anyone actually taken possession of one or even seen one? Very frustrating!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:35 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

As for alternatives, there seems to be an industry wide pile up of supply not being able to meet demand, delivery logistic meltdown, and overall unpredictability. Before I quote https://paddlingmag.com/stories/news-ev ... forecasts/ I can relate my experience outside Hobie where after a 6 week delay they called me for multi hundreds more in unforseeable shipment cost (we eventually split the difference).

Quote:

What are the biggest challenges facing the industry?

The pandemic has challenged the paddlesports industry.The unexpected growth, coupled with insufficient supply, shipping and fulfillment, has caused problems for brands and retailers. Service providers have had huge challenges with ever-changing and unclear rules of operation, and they have had to regularly pivot to do their best to meet customers’ needs and safety protocols.—Kristin Thomas, Interim President, SUP Industry Association

Meeting demand. Phones have been ringing off the hook, and there was no off-season. For most of the industry, the challenges are managing the supply chain, the shortfall, keeping costs down, limiting price increases, and prioritizing who to sell to. I don’t know anyone who isn’t having some issues. That means extensive lead times and a shift in expectations for consumers. I think one of the questions we’re all asking is, when is the drop-off? When will demand soften or fall out? Some people hope it’ll take years; others think it’ll be weeks or months. There’s a lot of presold boats, a lot of panic-buying inventory, and the question is, when does the inventory hangover start to impact dealers. It’ll be a real challenge in the future.—Andrew Stern, Marketing Manager, Bending Branches

Internally, COVID-19 travel restrictions have been especially hard for companies like us with employees in Canada and the USA. As the outdoor boom continues, supply chain and logistics issues are a huge challenge to get products into consumers’ hands. As restrictions lift, the challenge will be to take all of these new entrants into paddlesports and keep them engaged and stoked on paddling.—Josh Horoshok, VP Recreation Category, Mustang Survival

2020 was the perfect storm that showed why we feel everyone should be kayaking… It’s healthy. It gets you outdoors, away from crowds and breathing clean air. It’s something you can do safely with friends and family—and six feet apart is normal. It’s cheaper than motorboats. As an industry, we learned we need to keep broadcasting these realities to those who don’t paddle. Dispel the myths and show folks just how amazing, safe and fun it is out on the water. —James McBeath, Director of Marketing, Jackson Adventures

Later edit: My alternative to Hobie was not only late with price over runs, it came in the wrong ugly color and worst of all a bad twist in the hull. I think that asymmetry is tricky to avoid if they seal one side before the other.

Last edited by yaw_string on Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:29 am 
Site Admin

We have had a Setback on iTrek production. The first deliveries have not been up to Hobie quality standards. Dealers were informed of the further delay two days ago. It is unclear at this time when deliveries will now arrive. Covid strikes again... we were not able to have staff on-site for inspections before shipping began. The vendor is working hard to correct the issues and expedite replacement product to us.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

One of your staff called me today and said JUNE! Maybe late MAY. Based on your prior prediction accuracy, I’d guess December. No offer of accommodation made to encourage me to wait until then even though I have had $1000 on deposit with my dealer since NOVEMBER for two iTrek 11 kayaks. I have places to go and things to do and cannot wait, at least not without something to motivate me to do so. I am going to find an alternative and in fact may have already found one. Good luck!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:04 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

GWF545 wrote:
I am going to find an alternative and in fact may have already found one.

What's the alternative? Do share.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:01 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

reason162 wrote:
GWF545 wrote:
I am going to find an alternative and in fact may have already found one.

What's the alternative? Do share.

Agree; please do share the alternative peddle powered inflatable that you found..

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:20 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

There is one cheesy alternative inflatable with a pedal driven propeller but no rudder. Add your own seat and paddle for steering. There is a lot of metal and space taken for the drive and mount. It's more like the tub type hull where waves over the side or bow need to drain down the drive well, assuming water from sagging rear can even flow up there. The hull bottom has insets and doesn't seem that streamlined. Hoped for release of latest model in a week, but I think it's more a desperate fallback plan if itrek doesn't get back on track.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:55 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Crazy thought: I spy a (missed) silver lining for deliveries delayed by the global shipping logjam. Where there is a demand crunch, it can highlight opportunities.

If you had invested the unspent balance you owe for a non-showing iTrek into dry bulk shipment stock shares, it would have more than doubled this year. Essentially makes your iTrek free if you cashed in shares now for eventual payment to Hobie: https://stockcharts.com/freecharts/perf.php?bdry

However, playing that game this late could result in implosion of investment share price and effectively doubling amount owed for iTrek. Hmm, what to do...

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 9:51 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I too have a deposit down. I, for one, am glad Hobie rejected the shipment rather than accept something not to their standard. I'd rather have a delayed product than a defective one.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:49 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So glad I cancelled my order for two iTreks months ago. June 2021 they said after promising January, them March. Now it’s early 2022 they say. Seriously, how can they run a business like that? As for alternatives, sure there’s no other pedal powered inflatable like a Hobie, but there are lots of quality inflatables that accept a trolling motor with a Lithium battery that can be nicely set up for fishing. Guess what I’m buying.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:53 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

GWF545 wrote:
As for alternatives, sure there’s no other pedal powered inflatable like a Hobie, but there are lots of quality inflatables that accept a trolling motor with a Lithium battery

So there are no alternatives. Good luck with your setup.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:18 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Are you guys baiting me? There is one (return) left of the easily googled pedal inflatable kayak I mentioned in April after they since sold out a container full. If you had parked a mere $640 of your money in the BDRY exchange traded fund on the day I mentioned, that and it's huge gain would entirely cover it's current purchase price. I don't specify the brand out of courtesy to our forum hosts, and also that gives me a few hours to make sure I don't want to snag it.

It's so affordable, I started but did not finish the buy process earlier. I still have the concerns about it that I mentioned earlier. But at this price it is almost disposable, in the sense that keeping it a year or two while waiting for iTrek may put it at a similar monthly pro-rated price as owning an iTrek over the projected lifespan of it's glue seams. Furthermore under that plan you get an iTrek with younger seams that should last an extra year.

Post subject: Re: iTrek 11 Availabilit
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:06 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

:( I’m new to the forum and just got on the waiting list. Now I find out from this forum that I’ll have to wait another half year. I might croak of old age before Hobie can make my iTrek 9. I would substitute a Lynx but it just won’t fit into my Jeep.
I’ll just wait. And wait.
My reason for the small iTrek is that I have acquired arthritis in my shoulders, am easily fatigued, but can still pedal. The lightweight 20 lb iTrek looks perfect for me. Actually the only one thing that can work well for me. I’m 81 and hope when it arrives the dealer doesn’t call my estate and tell my grandchildren they can pick ulp my boat.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:21 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

yaw_string wrote:
I started but did not finish the buy process earlier.

Sounds like the i11s that you never actually purchased :)

No one looking at a Hobie is going to risk some chinesium OEM inflatable POS. I fish in cold water half the year - yes I wear a drysuit but I don't plan on going in.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:56 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

reason162 wrote:
Sounds like the i11s that you never actually purchased :)

No one looking at a Hobie is going to risk some chinesium OEM inflatable POS. I fish in cold water half the year - yes I wear a drysuit but I don't plan on going in.

I thought we had at least one more non fisherman besides me lurking around here, and in fact the lingering stock of 1 returned cheapo-yak did vanish soon after I noted here. I have bought about a dozen inflatables based on exceptional functionality. I'm too desperate for unusual functionality to be held back by quality concerns.

My Hobie died prematurely as did my Airhead which was at the other, cheapo end of the quality scale. The rest with ageing seams don't worry me if I avoid strong offshore winds. I have good conditions for abandon-ship-swimming in year round warm water. In my youth or at least pre-covid fitness I have swam (swum?) fairly far in frigid 40F water with no suit, and can swim forever in buoyant semitropical seas.

P.S. I will try to make this my last digression, but there is a youtube of abandon-ship advice by the most accomplished commercial fisherman in my area who retired to a Hobie Islander. What stood out to me was shark protection, for which he carried a short spear or whatever you call it. I don't dare carry something so sharp on inflatable, but I guess a blunt endcap would suffice. I lean toward a blunter alternative which is so powerful it might be controversial to mention. I think he also recommended short swim fins, which I sometimes carry. But short can equate to stiff, which due to foot geometry propels me not forward, but foot up and head down.