Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I got Hobies itrek11 recently and have been testing it on my local fishing lakes. On a recent fishing trip, my rudder was repeatedly overpowered by wind. The wind was not strong. The kayak would drift in the opposite direction I was steering, turn into the wind and then I could steer again. I was using a mirage md180 turbo drive not the kick up drive but everything else was stock. This was the only trip I didn’t use the kick up drive and I haven’t had a problem before.

I haven’t experienced this on the 11s even in wind and current. I have had my rudder overpowered on the Hobie Island and Revolution but this was corrected by either locking down the rudder and/or upgrading to a larger rudder. I also upgraded to turbo fins in those cases. Locking down the rudder or upgrading isn’t an option on the itrek that I am aware of.

Any suggestions? Any one else experiencing this problem?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:25 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

That seems strange, given the great rudder authority seen in videos. Is it ineffective mainly in one direction? Maybe the rudder is misadjusted to turn mostly in one direction (I don't know how that rudder works). Could you have a clump of weeds on the rudder?

Another issue is where the wind lateral center of effort is. You probably had big wind catching things on the stern and nothing on the bow, promoting a weathervane. Maybe load something on the bow and adjust the stern stuff to be more compact. I remember my i12s had a builtin cargo chamber in the bow which caught the wind and could weathervane me downwind.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I had a Hobie I crate on the stern holding an extra fly rod and nothing on the bow so wind forces would favor pushing the bow upwind. I did have a net in the crate as well but had dropped it to the floor when I started having problems. That didn’t help and shifting weight sideways or fore and aft didn’t either. I haven’t had it out since then to see if the problem is consistent. I visually spot checked the rudder when it was happening and it appeared to be aligned correctly and clear of debris. Thanks for the comment, I’ll post more after the next trip.