Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Located in Central NY. I'm 6', 200lb & a healthy 67. Love to fish & fish year-round. Waters are from Finger Lakes to Adirondacks. Have a 15' Whaler, 2 canoes & a float tube.

Thinking an i9 may solve some problems. I frequently vertical jig and MUST maintain boat location (minimal drifting). On the Whaler, no problem with trolling motor 'Spot Lock' feature. Winter forces storage of this boat. The canoes are easily blown around. Lots of fishing is in 60+ feet of water. Anchors are not an option & drift bags aren't effective enough. Would rather not deal with electric motor, battery, craft registration etc. This leaves the float tube. Two problems are 1: So very slow to get anywhere (some spots are .5mi or more) and 2: I sometimes wish I had Depends on. Bummer to make my way back to shore. A real time eater. Have chest waders on this time of year. Doing the job right then and there is challenging at best.

So the i9 questions:
I've watched the vids etc. Can someone my size really stand up or at least kneel as easily as it looks provided they have good balance?
Next, how easy is it to maintain boat location position using just the pedals and rudder. I assume seated of course. Anyone who vertical jigs in deep water knows how important this is.

There's no need for electronics mounting, extra capacity etc. Just these two things. I did see the i11 but welcome comments on my think an i9 will serve the purpose subject to my 2 questions.

Thanks in Advance!
Joe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Question one depends on your balance; kneeling/sitting anywhere on my iTrek 11 is easy and standing is fine in non-choppy weather but not something I do frequently.

Question two depends on your definition of easy; it is possible, but in any kind of wind at all you will be blown around like a top and it gets pretty frustrating trying to stay in one place. On windy days, I embrace the drift and if I get on a spot I can maintain/adjust for awhile but it is a constant effort. If you are used to spot lock I predict you will not be happy trying to vertical jig in one spot in any kind of current or wind.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:05 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Frog. I ended up buying 2 i9's. One Demo/one boxed. Both had substantial discount. Right place, right time. Water test at dealer was impressive. Like I said originally, been using float tube off season. I can tell you're familiar with what I was asking.

WAY faster than the tube. A little jittery standing due to unfamiliar but should not be a problem even casting. Surprisingly stable!

'Like a top' says it all. Kind figured. I refrain from open water in 10+ winds...even with spotlock. Simply isn't fun. In calm seas, my testing shows an intermittent gentle pedal keeps me stationary enough. Much better control vs the tube or canoe.

I've set both up. Added my 2cents for each application. Demo for fishing/me, new for fun/my wife. Going to never-freeze Finger Lakes when I get a calm, sunny 35+ day for lakers.

Bonuses are ez nature calls & thermos coffee/lunch without having to go to shore. More fishing time. Much more!

Thanks for your Reply. Much appreciated!
Joe