Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:44 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all. I am taking my first kayak trip to the upper FL Keys (probably Key Largo) this weekend, and I am looking for a good place to launch my Outback from where I might have a decent shot at catching some fish. I have researched as much as I can, and other than Pennekamp, I have only found one other place called Garden Cove (near Rattlesnake Key) to launch from. Does anyone have any experience to share on the kayaking and/or fishing near these spots? Any better spots to launch from? Any bonefish or other species in Largo Sound or the mangroves I see on the north and south ends of it? I've never fished down there, so any advice would be very much appreciated!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We don't line fish at all so I can't help you there, (we mostly spear fish, ( and lobster in season), so we can pick from the menu, (lol)). Be careful down there spear fishing, you can't even have spear guns on board in the many protected areas, (lots of fishing rules and protected areas in the keys, make sure you know them).
We are mostly divers and snorklers, so that's typically why we are out there.

We generally stay at resorts on the gulf side, some have launches, and most let you leave your boat overnight on the beach, we like to stay at the Hilton, and a couple others when we are up there. Not a lot of diving that we have found on that side so we have to cross the Adams causeway to get to the atlantic side, ( a long gruelling trip, forget it without an outboard, (ain't worth it peddling). The only other crossing point is way south. Atlantic side is way nicer IMO, you'll have more fun over there I think. Don't know about fishing in the park, (we don't fish so never asked). Personally I don't like Florida bay much, too much mud, and too shallow in many areas, but that's just us.
We had reservations at Pennecamp for a week in october, but the park was closed and pretty destroyed in Irma so we had to cancel, (sucks, it's usually booked out a year in advance.
I don't recommend going way offshore, the keys are very dangerous.
Hope this helps
FE