Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Early this summer I fell in love with Hobie Mirage drive kayaks. There is a dealer who rents them near where I live and I go at least once or twice a week paddling around in Garrett Marsh on the South Shore of Long Island. It's amazing how close you can get to all the different shore birds in a quiet Hobie, and how far I can go.

But... it gets cold here in the winter, and they close in the mid to late fall. I'd like to take a vacation somewhere warm where I can rent a Hobie Mirage or tour for a few days on one.

If anyone knows of any good spots please post here.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

http://www.plentypupule.com

They have Hobie kayaks to rent.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:12 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Where do you rent hobie on Long Island?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:12 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Lazyfish1 wrote:

Empire Kayak, in Island Park. They are right on Garret Marsh with dozens of small hassocks, islands, and passages to places near the mainland (Freeport, Baldwin) or straight out past the Meadowbrook to Jones Beach. I've lived here most of my life and never realized the abundance and variety of shorebirds, wading birds, raptors and passing migrating birds that are here. Or how good the fishing could be from a kayak in places larger draft boats can't or don't go. They rent a great variety of regular, sit in and on and Mirage drive kayaks and SUPs.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Fairhope Boat company, Fairhope, Al (Near Mobbil)
251-928-3417

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks!! Heading to NYC to visit family and any to take brothers out for first time. I love fishing and my brother is more a bird person so he will love that. We may finally have something to do together in peace.

Any tips for fishing or where to go? I fish mostly ocean out here in southern Cali. Thanks

MHC48 wrote:
Lazyfish1 wrote:

Empire Kayak, in Island Park. They are right on Garret Marsh with dozens of small hassocks, islands, and passages to places near the mainland (Freeport, Baldwin) or straight out past the Meadowbrook to Jones Beach. I've lived here most of my life and never realized the abundance and variety of shorebirds, wading birds, raptors and passing migrating birds that are here. Or how good the fishing could be from a kayak in places larger draft boats can't or don't go. They rent a great variety of regular, sit in and on and Mirage drive kayaks and SUPs.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:08 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

There is fishing all throughout the Marsh/Bay, near Empire, it just depends on the season. In the deeper areas or in the Channel there are always one or two party boats fishing. If you do decide to come out and rent from Empire (they also have one or two Mirage Pro Anglers) I'd suggest calling or stopping off first at Ralph's Tackle, less than a half mile from Empire. They sell bait, rods, equipment and always know what's out there what bait or lures they are going for. Of course, check out a NYS fishing license first.

There's also Manhattan kayak to be rented right in NYC. But other than the spectacle and challenge (and perhaps convenience) of kayaking right in NYC on the Hudson River, there's probably not be much to officer to either a birder or fisherman.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:13 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

CrappieHunter1 wrote:
Fairhope Boat company, Fairhope, Al (Near Mobbil)

Now there's an exotic location for a Northern boy.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:24 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I rented a kayak from Accessible Vacation Rentals in Santa Cruz, CA a few years ago - I think it was $100 for the week.