Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Here in the Great Lakes all vessels over 14' need MC numbers, PA14s and under are all fine until u put a motor on them(evolve). As long as its under 14'1", and you're paddling or peddling(human powered), all you need is a PFD in the boat(unless self inflating must be worn), a whistle, and a light if out after dark. I consider these pretty lax compared to in Ohio I think ALL vessels need MC's.

St. Clair Flatts
St. Clair River and Channels
3x Michigan Master Angler Awards

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I bit the bullet and registered my TI. We're traveling to Michigan and Ohio in a few weeks and I didn't want to be hassled. It was $49 for 3 years, so it wasn't all that bad (much cheaper than the $450 registration for my suburban annually). The lady at the DMV didn't even know how to do a kayak registration...she had never done one and Nebraska doesn't require it. However, having a TI I kinda skirt that fine line between kayak and sailboat. I definitely wouldn't fit the <14' Michigan requirement since the TI is 18'6", and Ohio requires everything to be registered. I have to admit the TI looks pretty silly with 3" tall lettering that takes up 26" of bow length on each side.

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Also check with the DOT TiTom. U may have to stop at weigh stations in each state u trailer it through to get signed off on that invasive species thing.

St. Clair Flatts
St. Clair River and Channels
3x Michigan Master Angler Awards

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

StickiestLizard wrote:
Also check with the DOT TiTom. U may have to stop at weigh stations in each state u trailer it through to get signed off on that invasive species thing.

I hope that's not the case, I'm travelling through 3 states before I even get to MI. We're doing the UP first and then dropping down to Traverse City area before heading to OH.

After doing a quick search through the Iowa DOT, Illinois DOT, Wisconsin DOT, and Michigan DOT websites I could not find any references to having to stop at weigh stations to be inspected for invasive species. Doesn't look I need to do anything invasive species wise (aside from wash the boat), according to the Michigan and Ohio DNR sites.

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

A PIA corollary to the vessel reg restrictions here and there, and the confusion that that creates, is the very frustrating speed limit for cars or trucks towing trailers in California: 55 mph! I haul my Revo-16 around on an utility trailer ... at 55 mph and my truck doesn't even feel the trailer. If I didn't check in the mirror, the "feel" test would never clue me into my trailer being attached.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Scurvy......I don't know of any trailer in Cali being towed at 55 mph.....shoot, the semi's speed is 65 mph or higher :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:59 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

RE:"Actually, by Federal law, states may only regulate motorized watercraft". This may only apply to waters that are considered federal waters. Generally speaking, this is anywhere the Coast Guard covers.

As for a PA or any kayak or canoe in Michigan, quotes from the official Michigan Handbook:

You must have a Michigan Certificate of Number (registration) and validation decals to operate your vessel legally on public waters in Michigan. The only exceptions are:
• Privately owned rowboats 16 feet or less in length
• Privately owned non-motorized canoes or kayaks
• Vessels registered in another state using Michigan waters for 60 days or less

The only canoes or kayaks that must be registered are those that are used for commercial use, ie. rental liveries, or if they have a motor (including electric).

As for owning the land under a body of water, there was a legal battle from-1924-1936 that established that all navigable streams, rivers, brooks, etc. are held in public trust, meaning they don’t belong to the owner(s) of land around the stream.

In Michigan, various laws and court rulings established that lakes that are accessible via public property such as highways, access sites, etc. are public waters. It doesn’t matter if the water is 1/2 inch deep or bottomless; it is part of the lake and isn’t private property. However; docks, swim floats, deck, ski ramps, mooring buoys, etc. are private property unless placed by a government agency (which regulates the use). So. if you can get to the lake via public access site then there is no question that the entire lake is public property, including the land underneath it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:20 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

in California, quite a lot of the lakes requires a Quagga check, and if you put up a sail, another whole different story, mostly fee difference and a registration number, and some lake won't even let you do it, because it is a SOT

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:43 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Traveling with a TI in US seems kinda tricky?
I am sort of planning ahead for a long trip around US with my TI (registred and insured in Sweden).
Where can I find information about what Laws to apply in each state?
What agency do I contact to get the correct information. DMV? Wildlife & fisheries department?
I guess the TI beeing both a kayak and a sailing craft can ad some confusion to the matter.
Seems pretty complicated for no accual reason.... but you guys have some awsome fishing spots that are still on my bucket list so I have to do the trip soon! :mrgreen: