Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I really had a lot of fun visiting and fishing Cedros Island last week and I want to share my trip...There'll be lots of photos so I'll try and keep the descriptions to a minimum.

The Island has a lot of similarities to Catalina.. it's about 25 miles off the mainland it's about the same length as Cat...also a very arid place with some spruce or evergreen type low trees on the mountain tops and some springs around the island...the south leeward side is the populated part...

The town of Cedros is built up out from the marina area...

This is the South end of the island looking up the windward (West) side. The airport is under us as we swing over it.

The plane is pretty small and you are allowed 30 lbs of clothes and gear before the surcharge...notice the table in the foreground and the dog in the background by the plane with the Mexican marines. You fly out of Ensenada leaving from the military base/airport. At the military base the marines go through your luggage and gear then stack it all by the plane and let the dog go over it....the same routine is repeated when you land at Cedros!

The marina at the bottom of the town...

Looking back up towards town from the marina...

We stopped by Cedros Tackle store on the 5 minute tour of town.

A couple of photos looking down towards the town from outside the Cedros Tackle compound.

Tomorrows launch...we had some kayak rigging to do today...

Putting Scotty Flush Mounts on all the Outbacks and a fishfinder in one yak to show the guys the install method.

Jim / Saba Slayer

Post subject: MX - Cedros... day 2
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

La Playa at the North end of town...

Because of the rough roads, they have to travel with the yaks upside-down, which makes for just a few extra minutes of rigging time.
You can see the killer surf launch in the background!

There was lots of Calico action on the smaller to medium models.

The deeper water and the structure spots along the beach held the Calicos.

The Halibut were next to the structure and in tight on the sandy beaches...

It was all plastics fish...they wanted anything with a white belly or all white...the 4" or 5" size worked the best on light line.

We fished right up on the beach and it was a pretty non-stop bite.

I missed a lot of photos of the larger Calicos that first day as I wanted to fish also...

David our panga skipper was out for his first time on a kayak and he loved it...he looked like a natural out there.

David said he's never done that well for Linguado before

Team Cedros...Jeff, David, and Omar.
(for the haters)...we kept 2 small Halibut and a Calico that were bleeders...

As we drove back through town the "boys" wanted to show off their catch...

We washed the yaks and gear off... cleaned the fish...dropped a few fillets with some friends...and made green chile Halibut enchiladas for dinner to be washed down with some ice cold Tecates...!

Post subject: MX - Cedros day 3
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Wednesday, our second day of kayak fishing...we launched at the north end of the salt factory and looked around with Rapallas and iron for some early season Yellowtail.

Getting the kayaks rigged at the south end of the island by the salt factory.

The surf launches on the leeward side of this island are pretty sketchy...

This area is supposedly the hot spot for Big Yellows in the summer and fall...

Omar moved south to the other side of the factory and called us in on a WFO Calico bite...

It was a "Bad Neighborhood" with lots of lost fish and also some of the biggest C&R'd Calicos we would see on the trip.

The white belly 5" swim baits worked best again.

I had to get in one photo...

Omar was killing the Bass today...

This is the "I finally got him out of the rocks...before the swell got me" look!

Finally..."the right kind"

That was it...nothing but these little rats up to 8lbs. The Calicos were bigger...LOL!

We came in south of the salt factory with another tough surf landing...

Dinner tonight was grilled Halibut with some mango avocado salsa on top...and as usual... washed down with some more of that ice cold Tecate.
Once it got dark we sat around the fire pit and marveled over the number of stars in the sky and lied about our biggest fish released today.
Back for more Halibut and Calicos tomorrow...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thursday morning we woke up to a howling wind... and for the first time all week we needed to time our launch.

Lots of wind swell as we peddled upwind.

We peddled all the way to the last point in the photo and then we let the wind push us back to the launch.

The Calicos were all over the White Zombie Big Hammer lure.

This is one of the many spots on the coast with a small freshwater spring growing a few date palms.

Lots of Halibut and calicos on the plastics again if you cast towards shore...

If I cast the Iron out to deeper water it was either a Calico or a Barracuda...my idea of fun...it was a fish every cast for a while before the wind blew me off the spot.

We kept a couple of the bigger halibut up to about 15lbs. and a couple of the small bleeders again.

The peddle back to town was into the wind after it switched around...(why is life like that...LOL)

Yes it was yet another treacherous surf landing on Cedros Island.

The kayaks and gear got a soap wash down at the compound and were stored away until Jeff gets back in about 2 weeks.
For dinner we took some halibut to the local restaurant and had fish tacos with fresh tortillas and salsa...oh yea...and ice cold Tecates.
We were in the air by 8:45 the next morning and back across the border in the US by 1:30pm.
Im ready to go back as soon as the big Yellows show up...!!!
Here's the contact info on Cedros Tackle and their Hobie Kayaks...760-412-2507...http://www.cedrostackle.com
Jim / Saba Slayer

Post subject: Re: Cedros day 4
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:02 am 
Site Rank - Captain

A truly wonder- filled photo essay in four parts. Hard to believe that places like this exist on the same planet. Stark, but certainly not without its own beauty. Thanks for sharing.