Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 374 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: TI outboard mount
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hobies "other" engineering dept at work..

Curious if you guys who put the outboard way to the back have to get out of the seat to access the throttle/ shift/ choke. My outboard is mounted a little forward and I have nice access to all of the controls - I can even start the outboard from the seat and that is nice in some conditions. If I did this again I think I would still keep the outboard forward because of the control access. Trade-off.. the outboard is louder that close and just a little distance makes a difference.

And some of you guys have made that adjustable forward and aft.. maybe the best option!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

walt wrote:
Hobies "other" engineering dept at work..

Curious if you guys who put the outboard way to the back have to get out of the seat to access the throttle/ shift/ choke. My outboard is mounted a little forward and I have nice access to all of the controls - I can even start the outboard from the seat and that is nice in some conditions. If I did this again I think I would still keep the outboard forward because of the control access. Trade-off.. the outboard is louder that close and just a little distance makes a difference.

And some of you guys have made that adjustable forward and aft.. maybe the best option!

I never had any issue with accessing all the controls from the seat. I put the motor as far back as possible to keep it away from my ears.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:50 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I will not be surprised to see someone eventually selling the parts and let the owner assemble it. Thats one way to avoid getting sued. Just sell the parts. There's a lot of owners who does not have time to do all these dirty work so i think theres a market for parts. Of course it should look nice when assembled, better than what we have all done and displayed here.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yep.. liability, warranty, and 2.5 hp is 1860 watts. The sticker on the boat says no more than 400 watts. Someone would have to sell some strange set of parts that "accidentally and just by coincidence" worked for the motor mount.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:43 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Boonedox might be listening and find ways to sell one.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The individual parts are easy to obtain. If you're worried about cutting the bars, aluminum is soft and easy to cut with a simple jig saw or even a hand hacksaw if you don't have a metal chop saw.

These mounts can be made by almost anyone with a few basic tools.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:20 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Domer, the motor mount looks great.

Can you share the dimensions and source the black square tubing (small square tubes mounted to the track, and the large square tubes mounted on top) and dimensions / source for the wing nuts. The wing nut set up looks like it would be quick to mount and remove when needed. Any experience with the wing nuts working loose due to motor vibration.

Hobie TI 2016 - Offshore rig - Outboard - sold
Hobie Kona 2014
Hobie AI 2015 - sold
Hobie Rev 13 2014 - sold
Hobie Outback - 2008 - sold

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I like it, very elegent.
FE

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What FE Bob said ...and very detailed and impressive drawings! 8)
You’ve had no problems with the short base 2” tube (mounted to the 1” tube) distorting/twisting under power?
Must be the wall thickness?
My 2” base tubes were about half your thickness and after a couple of runs I noticed the square shape was more like a parallelogram, so I had to add bracing.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice work! Did you use SolidWorks?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nicely Done !

Chris

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:20 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Deleted my post. Weight will still be on the side gunnel...:)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi,

Have any of you guys had issues with these outboard motors staying attached to that slick mounting surface?

I made some brackets for the NuCanoe that I previously owned. The bracket did a good job keeping trolling motors from slipping off the transom. These plates were custom designed for different trolling motors that had different clamp location dimensions. My design allowed the large clamp washers to recess into the delrin bracket providing additional protection keeping the motor in place. The eye bolt shown in the picture went into a hole in the transom. But in your case I would think a simple bolt or bolts through your mount would do the trick. The eye bolt allowed you to put a leash on the motor just in case the motor ever came loose on the mount.

Just something that may be of interest.

John

Variable Speed Electra Drive System Designed by: Phil Krug.
https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=62295&p=298578#p298578

Last edited by hobie cnc solutions on Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

hobie cnc solutions wrote:
Hi,

Have any of you guys had issues with these outboard motors staying attached to that slick mounting surface?

I made some brackets for the NuCanoe that I previously owned. The bracket did a good job keeping trolling motors from slipping off the transom. These plates were custom designed for different trolling motors that had different clamp location dimensions. My design allowed the large clamp washers to recess into the delrin bracket providing additional protection keeping the motor in place. The eye bolt shown in the picture went into a hole in the transom. But in your case I would think a simple bolt or bolts through your mount would do the trick. The eye bolt allowed you to put a leash on the motor just in case the motor ever came loose on the mount.

John

I can't see your photo. I used a rubber membrane that was glued to the mount's "transom". This provided both a better grip and some vibration dampening. The motor never budged an inch in operation. However it's always wise to include a leash just in case.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

domr wrote:
hobie cnc solutions wrote:
Hi,

John

I was considering bonding or bolting delrin pieces to the front and back of the aluminum mounting surface to including a 10° transom angle. I didn't have the means to make the angled cut so I haven't done it, but it's something I'd be interested in.

Hi,

In my opinion, there is no need to have a plate on the rear of the mount. The Key to the whole deal is the recess for the large motor attachment washers to fit in. Once the delrin plate is bolted to the mount and the large motor washers are encapsulated inside of those recesses as shown in the picture and the motor tightened properly the motor should stay in place during normal boating operations. On the mounts that I made I did the research on the offset from the top of the motor bracket to the center of the large motor washers and also got the correct dimensions from center to center on the motor mount plate washers so that the motor would align correctly when placed on the transom or fabricated mount.

Another concern could be???? the actual amount of room available for the motor to clamp to the mount. Due to the thickness of the transom on the previous kayak I owned and the amount of opening on the particular motor with the clamp screws fully extended the thickness of the plate was pretty critical. Hopefully, this would not be a factor on your fabricated mounts.

If you would like to discuss further you are welcome to PM or e-mail me. Wish you every success on your Hobie Adventures.

John

Variable Speed Electra Drive System Designed by: Phil Krug.
https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=62295&p=298578#p298578

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 374 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next