Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

stringy wrote:
I don’t consider the current design to be poor either but the gas strut is an interesting idea.
Not sure how well the seals etc would hold up in the extreme marine environment though? A couple of telescoping tubes and a spring might be more reliable.

BTW -my 2010 TI is still on its original break away pins. I don’t have keep out lines but I have always used trampolines and it has seen plenty of offshore use, without issue.

My TI was subject to the original free upgraded aka connectors. I considered the pin through aka bar fix while waiting for the upgrade but was reminded by Roadrunner that the knuckles are designed to twist in the crossbar. Any hole in the knuckle would need to be ovalised. It has been done by a member of this forum (can’t remember who) using a QR pin:

what is the orange line. with the knots (maybe reddish,i’m very color weak)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

winfield100 wrote:

Unfortunately, some of the best people who used to post TI problem solutions don't seem to respond anymore, perhaps they've sold their TI's and moved on to other things. That's too bad because their absence is felt. I miss these discussions on how to improve the TI. I guess I may be one of the last ones left from this group.

Hopefully, some new readers here will step up to the challenge.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

winfield100 wrote:
stringy wrote:

I don’t know. This wasn’t my pic -it was one that someone posted way back.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

pro10is wrote:
winfield100 wrote:

Unfortunately, some of the best people who used to post TI problem solutions don't seem to respond anymore, perhaps they've sold their TI's and moved on to other things. That's too bad because their absence is felt. I miss these discussions on how to improve the TI. I guess I may be one of the last ones left from this group.

Yes, the forum is not what it was and I only visit occasionally now. I sold my TI in Nov 2019. I still have an Adventure and Oasis but my TI upgrade is a 20’ trailer sailer. We’ve done some great trips in it.
I do know sadly that Tony Stott, who posted many times, died early 2020.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

stringy wrote:
pro10is wrote:
winfield100 wrote:

Yes, the forum is not what it was and I only visit occasionally now. I sold my TI in Nov 2019. I still have an Adventure and Oasis but my TI upgrade is a 20’ trailer sailer. We’ve done some great trips in it.
I do know sadly that Tony Stott, who posted many times, died early 2020.

I'm so glad to see you're still around!

I'm very sorry to hear that Tony died, he was a longtime and valuable member here. Rest in peace Tony.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

A few quick points for anyone reading this thread: please ALWAYS keep in mind these are plastic boats designed for CE Category D Conditions. If you don't know what that means, look it up.

Many owners push their boats much harder than they were designed for- and do so successfully and with great fun- but everyone doing it should take personal responsibility by planning to find themselves & their crew in the water at some point, and they shouldn't slag on Hobie for not building a product that they didn't intend to.

I agree that this forum is a lot less vital now, but for a few reasons, none reflecting on less vitality in the AI/TI universe; one is that the stored content is already comprehensive - the boats themselves have not changed much for a decade or more- and another that the Facebook group is quite active, and something people see every day. Just Big Tech in action. This place is still worth checking from time to time, esp. for the official Hobie word Matt Miller has been providing for years.

Sad to hear about Tony. Old guys love their Hobies.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

bluelaser2 wrote:
A few quick points for anyone reading this thread: please ALWAYS keep in mind these are plastic boats designed for CE Category D Conditions. If you don't know what that means, look it up.

Many owners push their boats much harder than they were designed for- and do so successfully and with great fun- but everyone doing it should take personal responsibility by planning to find themselves & their crew in the water at some point, and they shouldn't slag on Hobie for not building a product that they didn't intend to.

I agree that this forum is a lot less vital now, but for a few reasons, none reflecting on less vitality in the AI/TI universe; one is that the stored content is already comprehensive - the boats themselves have not changed much for a decade or more- and another that the Facebook group is quite active, and something people see every day. Just Big Tech in action. This place is still worth checking from time to time, esp. for the official Hobie word Matt Miller has been providing for years.

Sad to hear about Tony. Old guys love their Hobies.

Some of us, such as myself, can't stomach Facebook and all the crap you have to put up with to use it. So, we stay here. It would be a real shame if Facebook took over from these types of forums as well.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

does anyone have any pictures of these hardening techniques?
i’m about 100 miles south of Sarasota in Cape Coral and recently discovered how easily the shear pins shear on the Caloosahatchie[/quote]

This is a great question. Some pix would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I’ve thought about this, so I’ll just ask and Fusionengineer is the likely best answerizer for it: As the topic is about hardening the boats, we must naturally consider those failure moments when the shear pin gets broken. As a very quick fix, I’ve considered using 2 or 3 of those black, heavy duty zip-ties as an improvised replacement pin. It’s the same nylon material and if there were 3 of them, the cross section of material appears to be more than the plastic bolt.

Has anyone else considered this OTW fix?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

As the concept of gas shock braces was mentioned, I think a similar result can be achieved by using a fore and aft tie-out line for each ama. A key addition to the lines would be to include a short and very stout shock-cord to the end of each line (4 total). Then the tie out lines would be fitted so that they are under tension and this would ensure the lines would have zero slack and were already working against shearing the pin off…not that it would matter much at that point.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you go look thru old posts searching for my name, you should be able to find one that has a a link to my youtube channel.
On a couple of my old youtube videos I went into great detail on how to harden your TI, also wrote several good threads on the subject.
I don’t have access to much of it anymore because this forum is mostly pc based and my pc died a few yrs ago and I can’t access much with my Iphone.
Most of my pics were on photobucket, and I can’t access any of that stuff anymore. I didn’t feel I needed to keep any original photos (since everything was available on photobucket, lol). Boy did they burn all of us, (just sayin).
At the time, (2007-2018) our favorite past time was offshore scuba diving, (mostly out of Key West where we had a second home) which can be a very expensive hobby, ( anything boat related is very expensive, (money pit).
With our hardened TI, (which took forever to design) we reduced our cost to go diving out to the reefs from a thousand a day down to a buck a day, we had an absolute blast with it. But as a former marine, and doing mixed martial arts most of my life I wore my body out. So I can no longer dive, so the reason for owning such a boat disappeared, so we got rid of it in 2018. We still have 4 kayaks, and still use them, but nothin to write home about, (lol, boring kayakers)
Would I do it again if I could physically, hell yea, we had the time of our lives. Was it dangerous, yes dangerous as heck, The keys are very dangerous and huge, and not the place to go if you don’t have tons of offshore experience and local knowledge.
Good luck
FE

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Scurvy,
Excellent idea, nylon pull ties, (more than 1). Would work fine. To test you just fix the ama out while boat is on ground or trailer, and grab/ tug the ama, I used a luggage scale to measure force, it should break at right around 100 lbs jerking force on the ama. If it doesn’t break, the next thing to break is the little ball on the hull, or the aka brace will fold, both at a little over around 100 lbs force, either of those breaks puts you out of business sometimes for weeks, and very expensive, ( especially if the ball tears out the hull)
Wish I had thought of that, would have saved a small fortune in the expensive nylon bolts.
FE

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm going to work on my gas strut design next boating season as I feel that it has great potential. I'm going to see if I can come up with a way of installing it on a TI with inexpensive parts and a design that anyone can easily copy.

Gas struts are ubiquitous these days and used for all kinds of engineering solutions. They're readily available in all kinds of sizes and inexpensive.

I was hoping Hobie would do this, but they don't apparently seem to be interested in improving the TI much more lately and have even dropped the AI from production.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

pro10is wrote:
I'm going to work on my gas strut design next boating season as I feel that it has great potential. I'm going to see if I can come up with a way of installing it on a TI with inexpensive parts and a design that anyone can easily copy.

Gas struts are ubiquitous these days and used for all kinds of engineering solutions. They're readily available in all kinds of sizes and inexpensive.

I was hoping Hobie would do this, but they don't apparently seem to be interested in improving the TI much more lately and have even dropped the AI from production.

I only own an AI these days but still interested see how this idea develops.
I replace the plastic bolts with Stainless & nylock nuts in rough conditions - as well as keep out lines.

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

mickeymouse wrote:
pro10is wrote:

I only own an AI these days but still interested see how this idea develops.
I replace the plastic bolts with Stainless & nylock nuts in rough conditions - as well as keep out lines.

You might want to rethink the stainless bolt. It will never shear off, so either the aka will collapse right there where the shear pin boss is welded, or you’ll rip the hull-mounted ball-stud out which = a hole in your hull that turn into a crack.

Regarding the gas struts, unless the whole shebang is stainless steel, they will corrode and eventually catastrophically fail. Simple is always better, so you might want to see my idea about 3 or 4 posts previously — I suggest accomplishing what you are proposing with rope and a strong bungee strap. These items will not rust and any wear is plainly visible, it’s light, it’s cheap, and is available at any hardware store, truck stop, or marina.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next