Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So I'm not clued on the whole transducer setup - prior owner has a hook 4x - do I have options to get a combo charting, navigation setup where I can track / capture waypoints and depth of the lake? Can I get one of these cool looking Lowrance things that map the bottom of the lake and call the fish in ?

While I have been learning how to use a fish finder - I like the idea of the waypoints and path tracing to compare to wind - another option is to build something with ESP32 / Raspberry PI, but that will take effort to maintain - (which I don't mind, but really like the idea of just buying something off the shelf).

Use cases are
-Path tracing
-Speed tracking
-Lake Depth
-Fishing

--Adrian

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It's not clear what you're asking for. Are you saying that the TI you own currently has a transducer for a Lowrance Hook 4x installed but does not have the head unit? Or are you saying that it has a Hook 4x installed and you want to know if you can install a different transducer? Or something else?

If you can please clarify your question, I'm sure we can help.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:47 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

got it - so have a hook 3x that was installed - I'm considering if there is an easy way to get live tracking + historical paths, and if I get a new fish finder - can I use the transducer that is already installed - and just not get the pictures.

If I upgraded to something like https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/lowranc ... tter-combo with a Chartplotter would that let me export path data to muck with it later.

Would one of these make their transducer bolt up to my TI? > https://www.mariner-sails.com/berleypro ... er-mo.html

I do like the idea of the enhanced imaging, but not sure if the transducer will work with the thru hull fitting in the TI.

In order of priority / interest Use cases are ..

-Path tracing (historical data export)
-Speed tracking (live)
-Lake Depth (live)
-Fishing

--Adrian

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Lowrance Hook 3X DSI uses a basic 455/800 kHz DSI Skimmer w/Temp transducer. According to Lowrance's Sonar and Transducer Basics website, this transducer will only provide views directly beneath the boat, it will not give you views forward and/or to the sides. So, if you buy any Lowrance fishfinder with those features, it won't work. Usually, each fishfinder can use only specific transducers. Some can share the same transducers, but advanced models with more features may require more sophisticated transducers. If you need more information about a specific Lowrance model, you can contact Lowrance here.

But, if you're willing to purchase a new fishfinder, why limit yourself to the existing transducer? If you're worried about mounting a new transducer to the TI, there usually is a way. If your TI is 2015 or newer, it has a built-in Lowrance mount on the bottom. I have a Hummingbird fishfinder and I was able to install its transducer to the TI using the Lowrance mount. It just took a little ingenuity that almost anyone with average DIY skills could handle. If you have no such skills, you could bring it to someone who does. Others have also mounted Garmin transducers to the TI's Lowrance mount. You can search this forum for examples.

In regards to the features you're looking for, many fishfinders will do all of this. My Humminbird 999ci does and it's a lot older than the newer models now with even more features. They're really quite remarkable.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Slick - it is a 2017 - and Im at least an average DIY - so these mounts from berleypro should work with just about any brand of transducer - so just need to pick some thing out.

I wish they had a try and buy program at bass pro shop so if you don't like it - can swap it out.

Thanks a lot!

-Adrian

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bass Pro/Cabela's is excellent when it comes to returns. I once purchased a Tohatsu outboard motor from them. I used it for several months on my TI but it was terrible, stalling out all the time. I asked for a return and they refunded my money in full with no complaints and even paid for return shipping which, for an outboard, must have cost them plenty.

I wouldn't worry about returns with them if you're not satisfied. Just be sure to keep the original box and all your receipts.