Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Greetings,

I'd like to install a cheek block on the port side of the forward cross bar for a furling line I'll run to a cleat on the aft crossbar.

I noticed my 2022 TI already has threaded holes on the forward cross bar.

Anyone know their size and thread count? My TI is an hour's drive from my home and I want to buy the right drill bit and tap in case I need to add any holes to match the ones already there.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Well, seeing no answer, I finally got up to Lake Martin where my boat is stored yesterday and took a handful of screws with me to try in the treaded holes on the forward aka crossbar. Found one that fit and took it to the hardware store today. Found the holes are #8-32 machine screw. Bought a tap and a matching drill bit to make new holes to mount a cheek block on the forward aka crossbar and a clam cleat on the rear. I want to move the furling line to the port side with a cam cleat near the rear seat. I often sail alone and it is sometimes hard to get the furling line to uncleat from the forward cam cleat.

This should do the trick.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:59 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Feetforward wrote:
Well, seeing no answer, I finally got up to Lake Martin where my boat is stored yesterday and took a handful of screws with me to try in the treaded holes on the forward aka crossbar. Found one that fit and took it to the hardware store today. Found the holes are #8-32 machine screw. Bought a tap and a matching drill bit to make new holes to mount a cheek block on the forward aka crossbar and a clam cleat on the rear. I want to move the furling line to the port side with a cam cleat near the rear seat. I often sail alone and it is sometimes hard to get the furling line to uncleat from the forward cam cleat.

This should do the trick.

I was on this forum a lot several years ago and there was a lot of Island activity then.

Do you feel confident #8 screws will carry the load?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I hope #8 is big enough. That is what Hobie used for the stock furling line and sheet cleats.

I was at the lake today and installed the check block and cam cleat. The #8 screws fit an existing threaded hole fine, except for length. I ran into a problem with the screws hitting the outer aka that plugs into the crossbars on the kayak. I had to use some SS washers to shim the front and for the rear I cut off about 1/4" of the screws. I had #8-32 2" screws, but really needed 1 3/4", unfortunately hardware stores I visited have 1 1/2" and 2". Luckily I had a hacksaw with me :D

I look forward to sailing it with the new furling line cleat in the rear.

Jim