Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Anyone ever attach some sort of frame to the rear xbar to provide a firm, adjustable, seatback?

SW Gulf Coast: Sarasota to Keys

I'm not completely useless. I can always serve as a bad example.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:08 pm 
Hobie Team Member

I believe yakaholic ?? built some sort of contraption to sit up higher when sailing.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Aloha Dan!

Don't need to be higher. Need solid support behind my back so I can sit up straight for awhile when out for a long time. It would also give you more leverage peddaling.

I'm not as ingenious as a lot of you, but if I was I'd figure out a way to make better use of the space behind the seat and in front of the xbar to provide not only a solid/adjustable seatback, but also a: 1) storage rack for stacking a camp chair, table, sun shade, tent, etc.; and 2) a base for a (swing-out-of-the-way) sun shade.

Hopefully someone out there has, or is in the process of, figuring out how best to utilize this space.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Because I'm a quadriplegic, I need more stability than the cloth seat. I built a sort of frame to add more support. I used 1" PVC pipe. I inserted 1" wooden dowels in the ends extending about 3-4". These get stuck in the drain holes just in front of the rear crossbar. The top of the PVC's are connected with a horizontal PVC (in my case it's pretty high on my back for more stability. While you might not want this, I also connected armrests to this backrest to give me even more lateral security. I'll try to take some pictures this afternoon.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Cruiser,

Hey! Glad to hear from you. Necessity IS the mother of invention isn't it. Sailing and getting out on the water does a lot to clear our minds and set us free for a while. I'm so glad you can get away and enjoy it too.

I've been looking at furniture grade PVC. Those fittings look like they'd make a neat frame layout. Do you anchor the frame anywhere other than the rear scupper holes? Are you satisfied with its strength? Is it just glued, or did you use any special fasteners?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The armrests tuck into the "map pockets". The strength and stability seem OK, as I actually hold onto it while leaning over, or put much of my body weight on it while I'm leaning and reaching over a folded ama. I just assembled it with set screws. This allowed for any adjustments. I experimented with using 45 degree connectors, which provided near infinite adjustments, but ended up finding the straight vertical (with my life jacket as cushioning) was the perfect position. Oh, speaking of which, while the wooden dowel only extends outside the pipe about 3" (thickness of hull) it extends up into the PVC quite a ways to provide more rigidity (another adjustment that you can play with). I took pictures yesterday and will post them when I get a chance.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Cruiser,

Ever think about adding a bimini top--something that would swing out of the way when getting in/out of the boat. South FL sun can be murder. 8)

Good idea using dowels for added strength--also gives screws something solid to bite into, and lets pieces like the armrests swing back out of the way. Now we're getting somewhere! :D