Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

"The TI jib is a planned accessory that is still in development. Jim Czarnowski (Penguin Man on the EC 2010 and chief engineer here) used a prototype jib on the race. The system needs further refinement before we can offer this as an accessory. The new TI is actually designed to accept this as a forethought." Matt, when you said this, I assume that the TI that I presently have on order will accomodate the jib that you come up with. I have heard some concern re. the strength of the point of attachment with the TI. If that's true is that point of contact being reinforced on these early production run TI's?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:33 am 
Site Admin

All of the TIs built have hardware locations set up and a forestay attachment sewn into the sail for easily adding the jib kit. There may be some internal stiffening needed in the bow structure, but that would be an add-on included in the kit. Still working on this, so it mat be a bit before we have any real details to disclose.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great to hear that at least one of the Hobie "kayaks" is going to get a factory jib option. I have been using a jib on my kayaks and AI for a couple of years and it is a very useful addition in light airs and to help get the nose of the boat around in a tack in stronger winds on the AI. I look forward to seeing what the factory designers come up with !