Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cold Weather Sailing
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi gang. I just ordered my new AI 2009, to be delivered on or about January 02. I live in Pensacola, Fl. and we have plenty of bays and lagoons to sail in, in additional to the ocean of course. The water temperature in January, down here, is about 50%. I was concerned about the danger of sailing in water that cold.

I have sailed for about ten years, but in a much larger boat, a 34 foot sloop. I sold it a year and a half ago as it was nothing but a money pit that was falling apart. It was built in 66. I still have a 16 foot AMF Sunbird, but it is a real hassle for one person to get it in and out of the water. No way could I get it out of the water and onto the trailer in the dead of winter because I have to get in the water waist deep to do it.

I tried out the AI a week ago at the local Hobie dealer. It was a real trip. I was thrilled beyond expression. This is what I have been waiting for all these years. I simply cannot wait until the weather warms up. I plan on sailing every day the weather is above 50% and down here that is almost every day. Well, at least for the first couple of weeks anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Lots of great replies in this related thread:

http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=11073

I have bought a set of Frogg Toggs, and find them satisfactory for keeping off spray and wind. Still puzzling over what to do in conditions where I'm going through waves and getting completely doused. I was leaning toward a wetsuit, but am now thinking maybe a dry suit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thats cool -but Dude-dont be penny wise and pound foolish. Especially with your LIFE.Better to be overprotected(if there is such a thing) AND you should have a line from the suit to the boat because the boat will keep going without you....