Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tidalwave - sounds good to me 8)
With that setup, is it possible to monitor what you are recording or do you plan on just having it fixed to the one viewing area?
Can you zoom?
I've gone with the Olympus 1030SW but am not sure how I will use it in a hands free manner yet. It's so compact it might be possible to mount it on some form of helmet or head strap. :roll:
A helmet with a large clear screen and windscreen wipers would be ideal :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mickey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The TachyonXC like almost all small video cameras does not have a view screen. The unit is so small that even if it had a view screen, you wouldn't
be able to look at it without a magnifying lens.
My first requirements were compact size and high water/shock-resistance. So that meant no view screen and no zoom-function (the lens is fixed for ruggedness).
'Bullet cameras' are really designed to be attached to some kind of mount.
My camera came with a tube mount (for handlebars, etc.), a helmet mount, and a swivel mount. I am planning on using the swivel mount because I can lock the mount securely to the 'extension' rod pipe but
I also wanted the capability of turning the camera on the pipe. I could,
of course, turn the pipe on the rod holder...but I was worried that while
trying to loosen the pipe for turning the camera, I might drop the whole apparatus into the water. This way I can turn the camera on its mount while being assured that the hull attachment is still secure. (I am one of those people who tend to drop things at the most inappropriate times)

The Tachyon does have a small B&W LCD screen on top to display functions such as On/Off, Video/Still, Time Remaining, etc. I also
like that the front of the camera has a Green (ON) and Red (Recording)
LED light display. They aren't very bright in full sunlight but at least
I will usually know if the camera is on and running.
Another function I like about this camera is that the batteries are 'shockproofed' within their housing. Many video camera reviews talk about vibration loosening the batteries and having the camera shutoff.
Some cameras will stop functioning if they are dropped even a few inches.

Where I sail/kayak the waves are usually very choppy and I expect any
mounted camera is going to take a few sharp jiggles as I plow into steep waves. I may also mount the camera on my helmet and or motorcycle.

I plan on bringing my high resolution, image-stabilized, water-resistant still camera with also, but I found that I needed to be an octopus to control the AI while trying to also take pictures. With a continuous recording video camera, I think that the feeling of sailing the AI will be
more effective than with my still pictures.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Was just at WalMart store. They are selling HiDef (1080i) video cameras for $99 and $149 depending on the size of the LCD color screen (2 1/2 and 3 inch)! Both cameras were palm size. They use 4-8GB SDHC memory chips, for about two hour video time.
For that price...you could afford buy a waterproof bag housing for it (EWA-type). But you would have to hand-hold the bag...with no way to screw it to a mount while it is in the bag.