Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This worked really well, the AI sailed at 90 Deg to the breeze with no probs at all, in this light wind I was even able to sail about 20 deg upwind as indicated by the Wind Vane I fiitted for the trials that you can see against the Yellow section of the sail.
I believe the performance was enhanced by, the perfect light wind, the weight, stability and length of the AI, the Rudder and most importantly the Skeg. Performance in Moderate winds is yet to be tested, however it was fitted with the intention of use in light conditions.
(Yes, I know you can fit a small Hobie sail to the AI but this one was given to me for free and was installed in less than an hour without mods.)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice work Max! 8)
I wonder how it would work with the AI fully rigged?
Maybe as a more versatile type of spinnaker in lighter winds :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have actually already tested it in combo with the Mainsail in very light winds and performance results were better than expected.
But, I am keeping that report under wraps until I have some good photos showing the AI sailing in moderate winds, and Reaching, with that combo.
I can already report though that any sailing speed downwind is naturally increased by the extra sail area without any noticeable negative affect in handling or operation, and of course it is not necessary to attach anything to the Mainsail mast.

PS: The PA Sail is a bit pricey because it uses professionally sewn sailcloth, large injection mouldings and expensive composite mast tubes, a quality New Zealand kayak product.
An inexpensive copy can be home-made using these instructions.
http://www.topkayaker.net/Articles/Surf ... kSail.html

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Apart from the extra sail area, I guess that it being mounted so far forward would help counteract the tendency of the boat to round up in stronger winds.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

chrisj wrote:
Apart from the extra sail area, I guess that it being mounted so far forward would help counteract the tendency of the boat to round up in stronger winds.

I would hope so, further tests will tell, if you wanted to sail the combo in strong winds you may want to choose the 16 Sq Ft model?
In any case it can be raised and lowered in seconds without fouling with any of the existing gear.

The kit can be fitted anywhere on the Foredeck, (and moved to your other Kayaks easily), I just chose the near-closest reccomended distance to the prow to allow ample separation for unobstructed airflow.
Someone from Hobie who understands the AI geometry, its sails and their positioning might have helpful info to add.