Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: First outing with tramps
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hello all,

I picked up a pair of AI tramps last week. I've always dreamed of having trampolines on my AI, so I couldn't wait to give them a try. Here's my yum-yum yellow AI with tramps installed, just before launching:

The first thing I noticed was that my launch routine would have to change. It was nice to be able to lay the drive and other items on the tramps, rather than stack on back well, but it was harder to get into the kayak and impossible to paddle away from shore to water deep enough for the turbo fins. Next time I'll launch with one tramp rolled up.

Here is a pic of the GPS/fishfinder I mounted to the side gunnel. For sailing newbies like me, I find the GPS info helps with true speed and direction, as the wind and waves can confuse me. The fishfinder really helps with not only locating where the fish are hiding, but also underwater limbs, as the transponder is located in front of my Mirage drive and I can quickly pull the fins against the hull when I see an obstruction coming.

One of the aspects I love of all the Hobie kayaks is that you can get to areas of the lake where boats don't dare try. I traditionally rollerfurl the sail, pull the amas in against the hull, and remove the pedal drive when entering these areas. With the tramps installed, I couldn't pull in the amas or use the paddle, unless I unhooked the back of them and rolled them up first. So, I couldn't go as far into the channel as usual, as I was too lazy to mess with the tramps.

Here's a pic of the shallow inlet that I wandered into:

Here is a vid of me drifting in the inlet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz7MmVwfY8w

One benefit of the tramps is that they did seem to help with the water coming over the side, and some of the side spray, though a front spray shield is still needed for nose spray.

Here is a vid of my moving along at 7mph in some chop:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGffuGceOZ4

I never cease to be amazed at the versatility of the AI. While all of Hobie's kayaks make great fishing platforms, the AI is the only one that lets you quickly travel a long distance to the fishing hotspot, and then roll up the sail, drop anchor, and fish. The trampolines extend this versatility, making the AI even better. While there are some compromises when they are latched (no paddling, limited side entry, no folding in amas), the compromises are worth it, and they can always be unlatched from the rear and rolled up.

Here is a pic of my GPS track. Note that the fishing hotspot the day I was out was on the opposite side of the lake from my launching point. I was able to quickly get there. On the way back, I was able to explore the entire lake, including shallow coves with tree limbs everywhere in as little as 6" of water. Note it took me almost 20 tacks to finally get to the marina at the end of the day.

I hope everyone enjoys my post. I haven't posted in a while, but thought an update would be worthwhile.

All the best!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Haha! Yay, DFW AI owners! I was down at Ray Hubbard today, sorry I missed you!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I originally had a Hobie Sport that I used to fish Lavon, great for all the nooks and crannies of the shoreline. My company moved me to CA, and it only took one outing to realize it was way too small for the Pacific ocean :shock: So, I bought the AI in CA, and it was perfect for the surf and swells. This is my first AI trip since moving back to TX, and it was perfect for Lavon. Ray Hubbard is next, so maybe we can hook up, and then Texoma. One habit I learned in CA was safety buddies... not really to save you, just to let the widow know what happened and make sure the life insurance company pays up :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I tried my tramps for the first time yesterday. They are fantastic. At first I thought the $310 was a pretty steep fare for them, but after getting them, I find that they are very high quality and really fit the AI nicely.

My first sail was with my 11 year old daughter and 4 year old son. The tramps really open up the boat for passengers. WET passengers, but, hey, this is a water sport. Keeping the passenger's rear ends dry is pretty much out of the question. Also, they seemed to gravitate to the forward section of the tramps which caused the nose to dig in deeper than normal. No problem, just a little deeper.

Then I took my 5 year old daughter. She is the perfect size for ballast adjustments. It was very interesting sailing the AI with no heel in decent gusts.

Then I went solo. In heavier air, I found that I could sit towards the rear of the tramp and steer either with my hand or foot depending on the tack I was on. It worked quite well, and the heel of the AI is very sensitive to a little weight shift.

New2Yak,

As far as going into shallow areas, I keep the drive in with one foot forward and one back. Then I can still pedal, but I don't do full cycles, but just short back and forth movement so that the fins don't go down much. You would be surprised at how effective they remain. I use the daggerboard as a measuring stick to always know how much depth I have.

Hobie Adventure Island.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTIq7IhU84Y[/youtube]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am hoping to try out my custom made tramps tomorrow if the weather gets up a bit. Included a pic of my set-up and keen to see it deflects the water as hoped...Pirate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mean and sleek looking! I Like it!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:15 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Apart from the obvious speed advantage that being red gives it, Do you get any extra perfomance from them. I assume that due the higher speeds obtained by being red, it could be getting lift!
:wink:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Goodness Pirate, it looks a bit like an F16. Perhaps you could mount an afterburner on the rear crossbrace.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Looks great Pirate! 8)
C'mon you two. I've been eagerly awaiting the results since you first posted!
Don't worry about how cold it is. Get out there and test and don't forget your parachute! :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Forecast for Sunday until midnight
Winds: northwest to northerly 5 to 10 knots and afternoon sea breezes of
similar strength.
mmmmm.........a bit cool but not much wind to try out the tramps in a bit of sea. Might have to postpone the experiment but will see how the day progresses...Pirate :?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hope we don't break a pin :shock: :roll: :lol: :D

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

chrisj wrote:
Goodness Pirate, it looks a bit like an F16. Perhaps you could mount an afterburner on the rear crossbrace.

I was considering mounting my gyrocopter frame to the akas to give the AI some real lift. Had a mate that put some floats not that unlike the amas onto the bottom of his gyro and flew it off the water successfully. Might have to leave the mast at home though....Pirate :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mickeymouse wrote:
Hope we don't break a pin :shock: :roll: :lol: :D

...now that's quite enough of that Mickey...Pirate :wink: