Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I installed tramps today on my TI. When I roll them around the front aka I have no place to put the paddle blade. The sleeve of the tramp covers the blade holder on the aka bar and when I roll the tramp and secure it with the bungees the tramp blade holder is covered.

As anyone come up with a solution for this?

Thanks.
Jeff

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

More bungees, Jeff. :roll: On the edge of the port tramp, toward the outside of the Aka. You want the paddle out of the way, but easy to get to.

You could install RAM balls there, on each Aka, to serve as lashing points. They could act as camera mounts or bases for pole holders, too.

I keep my paddle loosely secured with 2 bungees and leashed to the hull as well.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:18 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks, Nohuhu. I figured there'd be more bungees involved somehow! I was originally thinking that I'd put it back in the middle of the tramp, maybe by using two looped bungees, each loop about the size of the paddl blade, and the tramp bungees would go through the new loops. This would give me the bungees to hold the tramp which go around and another one that went arcoss the aka over top of the rolled tramp, similar to the position of the one covered by the tramp.

But, after reading your post and thinking a bit, mounting the paddle outboard has the added benefit on the TI of getting it out of the way of using the tramps. I'll look into the RAM mount and maybe experiment a bit and see what I come up with.

Thanks for the ideas.

Jeff

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sure Jeff. I keep a couple short bungees wrapped around each Aka now, for general use. One dear the hull and one out by the Amas.

That way they are handy for all sorts of uses, including lashing the sail down, if it needs to be removed for bridges, rough weather or surf landings.

Still looking for a good paddle holder clip or commercial strapping system for the Akas that would not interfere with the tramps and other functions

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We found the double paddle would always get in the way when hiking out. We changed to a more solid single paddle leashed and stored in the rear cargo area. I do carry an emergency double paddle stored unassembled in the front hatch but haven't needed to use it on the TI in the last 18 months.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:00 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Some great ideas here, thanks, y'all. Sometimes just messing about and experimenting with small projects is nearly as fun as getting out sailing! Especially on days where time doesn't permit or weather is not quite cooperating.

Jeff