Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:17 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hohuhu,

Yes. You gonna have to be careful when you pass those supermodels. ;)

All,

Since I already have a bunch of Scotty rodholder parts from my previous kayaks, I'm trying to get them to fit. The issue was trying to fit the flat bottoms of standard Scotty mounts to the curve profile of the TI's crossmember. Inspired by the Harken blocks which used a saddle to securely fit a flat bottomed cleat to a curve, I decided to try something similar.

I started by covering my TI's crossmember with sandpaper and running the previously used plastic cutout along it.

Until I was able to machine enough of the crossmember's profile.

Sandwiching a piece of rubberized gasket material for added friction, I reinstalled the mount. I still have yet to cut out the excess gasket material that's not making contact with the crossmember to clean it up. But it doesn't seem to affect how secure the mount has become. Note, I also added a rubberized gasket material between where the SS hose clamps make contact with the crossmember - to help prevent electrolysis.

Here's a pic of the entire setup with my FF mounted.

Took it out on a sail yesterday, but ended up being sailing runs in Hilo Bay with friends and family. So didn't get a chance to test it out while fishing. But it did handle the abuse of getting knock around by a few friends and family. Lets just say we tested the weight capacity of the TI. :)

More testing to come.

cliffs2yak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

cliffs2yak, the base curve is about the same as the Scotty's, I see.

Did you try ubolts at some point, to directly attach the Scotty base? On the old AI something between 1.5 and 1.75 inches is needed, and that is hard to fit.

We have yet to determine if the TI and new AI tubes are different diameters - Anyone?

Without a caliper, I estimate the outside diameter of my Akas as 1.67 in (roundest point). Again a very odd dimension, but if a 1 5/8" or 1 11/16" ubolt could be sourced, it would seem the closest size. That is, unless someone with a CNC machine was to mill us some cool 1.75" saddle spacers. (Black please)

Bolts would be WAY cheaper than the $45-80 clamp mounts Sam and I splurged on. They would also be incredibly strong.

To ease the pain in calculating all this, (without a caliper and a kid in Jr high school) try these URL's:

http://math.about.com/library/blcirclecalculator.htm
http://www.seoconsultants.com/charts/inches-decimal/

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:40 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Quote:
the base curve is about the same as the Scotty's, I see.

Nohuhu, I made the curve on the Scotty mount larger in an earlier attempt to fit it onto the crossmember. Unfortunately, the distance between the bolt holes were too narrow - less than the width of the crossmember.. So I decided that a saddle was needed.

cliff2yak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

They don't have their own strap-on, like RAM?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:52 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

NOHUHU wrote:
They don't have their own strap-on, like RAM?

No, Scotty does not have one listed. So I had to come up with an option to mount onto my crossmember. My current setup is holding up pretty well. Took my TI out for a fishing run and took an ulua (Giant Trevelly) strike with my drag set at around 8lbs. There were some flexing next to the Scotty Rodholder II's gear assembly; but the mounts didn't even budge. Ended up pulling the hook early in the fight :(

On a side note, I'm also finding the use of the Scotty extension arm very handy. It keeps my fish finder drier and away from my pedalling. Having it higher and closer helps make my fish finder's small display more readable. Especially since I was able to tilt the unit down a bit to help cut down the glare. When I took the fish strike, it was easy to pull and rotate the extension arm to the side to clear the area.

With all the mounting options that RAM Mounts has to offer, you can probably come up with a simliar setup and save yourself the hassle of retro fitting stuff. Like your setup, it was nice to have the rod holders in easy reach and away from your paddle area.

More testing to come...

cliffs2yak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I was admiring that fishfinder mount. Everyone wants it "in their face" and you have achieved this.

It appears to be very close to the mainsheet profile. I imagine you have it as high as it can go without jamming things up with your sail, or kicking it with your luau feet. :wink:

BTW, have you measured those TI tubes?

Mahalo for the picts, keep us posted.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:24 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Nohuhu,

I was a little worried about my FF being too high previous to using it in the water. But it ended up giving more than enough clearance for the sail/mainsheet lines and became a surprise benefit from the extra effort of securing my rodholder mounts. My FF aligns to about chest high (I'm 6' tall) and it's a one hand operation to rotate the extension arm to one side of my TI. Doing so allowed the front passenger to simply look to the side to view my FF's display; so both front and rear passengers could check on soundings. Very nerdy cool. :)

Although I have a digital caliper (somewhere in storage), I haven't yet measured the demensions (height and width) of my TI's crossmember. Hope to soon so that I can help spec out a milled version if needed. To provide more hold, a thicker plastic stock (~2") could be used so that more of the crossmember's profile could be utilized. But not sure if it's necessary since the ~1" think cutting board pieces seem to be doing well so far.

Will have to take it through more fishing tourture tests ;)

cliffs2yak

p.s. I have luau feet - swim fins not required :P

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:05 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Here is the spread. In theory I could run all six......In theory!!! And a handline like NOHUHU suggested,, I have the perfect teaser to run. If she folds her front feet and sticks he back legs out she planes real nice. Nice and plump too.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Spare pole --CHECK

Spear Gun -- CHECK

Fish Bag -- ??

Way to go Sam!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:51 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Sammy,

Rod holders looking very secure and providing some major spread for a kayak. I can somewhat imagine that you have to hike out on the tramp to work the rods mounted on the akas. Looks like you're going to have some fun on a multiple hookup situation. ;)

cliffs2yak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Now that is one mad setup, Sammy! Look forward to some reports of multiple strikes! :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great setup. See you've got fresh shark bait there too! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Sam

that's not a teaser...that is bait!!!!

That spread is way cool!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:15 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Since I had existing scotty rod holders from past boats I came up with a lazy solution for aka mounting my scotty rod holders. I simply used 3 zip ties through each side of the mount with about 5 wraps of electrical tape on each side for grip and padding. I placed the rod holder mount so that it is braced by the clip for the diagonal brace. This keeps the rod holders from spinning downward while trolling. very cheap and lazy solution :-)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:18 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

They also fold flat when you're done for the day or traveling when placed in the horizontal position