Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: bimini
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:09 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

http://cgi.ebay.com/BIMINI-TOP-SUN-SHAD ... QcategoryZ

Any thoughts on how this might work on the AI or TI? It looks like the Main Sheet would clear. Off course, you would have to disconnect and reconnect the sheet when tacking , making it impractical if beating into the wind, but, on those hot days when you don't have to change tacks often, it might be practical. I don't think I would use one on a mono hull kayak - it wouldn't take much wind to knock you down, but on a tri - why not. For side protection, a removable side panel would be a nice addition - an easy mod for the crafty folks on this forum. Too bad they didn't go ahead and design it with attachable side panels.

Ted

Post subject: Re: bimini
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hobie makes an adjustable, stow-able bimini top for the 'yaks already.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:58 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I saw those, but it appears that they need a base that goes where the crossbar goes. You can get bracket mounts for those biminis, but they look like the are made to fit typical 1" bars and may not fit the larger crossbars on the AI. Additionally, they spread out mhuc wider and may interfere with the main sheet, whereas these biminis aren't much wider than the boat and should allow the sheet to run out. There a lot cheaper too. Looks like you could even rig them with a single line and maybe let it down in order to tack.

Just something to think about.

Ted

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have the factory bimini on one of my Adventure Islands with the base installed behind the crossbar so it covers the fishing pole holders which is OK because I don't fish. I can use it while sailing though it does require some effort to keep the mainsheet from fouling. I usually don't use it while sailing and it works really well when in kayak mode because it can swivel to where it's needed. The one shown looks like it would only work when the sun is above.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:55 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

That's good to know, Rahn. I wasn't sure it would work that far back. One problem with that is the storage/cooler space it would take up in that position.

I have decided to go with something I have used on other boats that works pretty well:
http://www.coolibar.com/04106.html

If you shave it down some, you can fit the handle of one of these into some PVC and insert it into the scupper holes near the back crossbar, then strap the PVC to the crossbar. It will stay put well and can be removed easily and switched to the other scupper hole to change tacks or to shield the sun if it's on the other side. I'll post up on it when it comes in. These umbrellas have been back ordered for a while now. They also go by Gustbuster Sunblok. I used it on a couple of different boats, including a Hobie Revolution and they really keep things more comfortable.

Ted

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:09 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

This is how I had it set up on previous Hobie. It should be very similar on the AI. The above referenced umbrella would be much preferred. The installation requires using one size PVC for the scupper hole and one size larger for the handle of the umbrella. You can glue it in with goop (requires shaving down the rubber handle), then you can slide the larger section of PVC over the smaller one and use a quick disconnect pin, or hardware of your choice to put it into place. It provides reasonably good protection from the sun and is pretty easy and convenient to operate.

None of the other discussed options appear to be functional. There is no good location to install the one I mentioned above because of the location of the back crossbar, and installing Mantis bimini that Hobie sells for their non-sailing kayaks would require mounting the attachment plate behind the crossbar, which would take away from the usable space back there.

Ted

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

For when you're not sailing, I've always wanted to make this:

His post here: http://www.myadventureisland.com/p/x-fighter-sun-shade.html

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:54 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

That does look pretty slick, reconlon.

It might help if I pasted in the pictures referred to in the above post:
C:\Documents and Settings\Family\My Documents\My Pictures\Dad's Pictures\Hobie

Ted

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:06 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Here we go:
http://s190.photobucket.com/albums/z211 ... %20bimini/

This went very smoothly. It took about 30 minutes to cut and install the parts. As can be seen, you can quickly disconnect the umbrella and move it to the other side. I dry sailed it to check on the main sheet, and it clears all the way from all out to fully furled. I bought this sail from Coolibar. They are currently on sail for 25 bucks.

Ted