Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wheeleez cart
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm pretty new to the AI and use a Wheeleez cart to go from car to water and back. I was advised by my dealer to buy this kind of cart rather than the scupper as its more flexable and easier to fit...really. I seem to struggle to get the AI on in the water, small waves wind etc moving the AI around. I also noticed that if you dont get the cart up to at least where the scupper cart sits the wheels will rub on the folded amas.
Has anyone created some kind of mod to make this process simpler for one person?
Thanks,
Pete.

Post subject: Re: Wheeleez cart
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I've had no experience with anyother cart than the ctug which i chose because i don't like the idea of a scupper type one.
I've heard too many tales of these rattling around over rough ground and damaging hulls.
Following a puncture on my ctug tyre i replaced both wheels with larger ones to help over rough ground but i too am getting wheel-ama rub.
I don't think it's anything major, but will have to think of a better way of fitting to avoid this.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Well it would really help if the wheeleez people put fitting instructions in the box. I googled fitting and found out that there was a better way to fit the AI to the cart.
I am working on a method to fit to the cart when in the water basically plastic water pipe mechanism to help as a guide. I'll try to polish it and give out the details when I'm done.
JJ

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've been using 2 Wheeleez carts on my AI. Wheeleez sells an optional crossbar set that connects to the front and rear cart support bars. The crossbar set is padded with 2" foam and allows the boat to set higher up then the standard padded arms.

I don't fold my aka's in, however the optional crossbars will let you fold them in. I have snapped foam blocks onto the aka's for added spacing between the hull. I bought the foam blocks at REI, they're used to clip in the gunnels of a canoe when to put it on the roof of a car.

I put the carts near the front and rear crossbars, makes pulling the boat in sand very easy. It's like pulling a wagon. I've found it easier for me to push the boat in soft sand with a slope on the beach.

I put the wheels on and take them off on the beach next to the waterline. Not sure I would even want to attempt to or would even want to do it in the water.