Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi All I have a 2011 AI and have just tried my sons tandom Amas they fit perfect with the A1 2011 Akas. I cannot see any more stress on the AI with these than on the tandom with the same methods of connection to the kayak via the Akas.
Having sailed both AI and Tandoms in strong wind I feel safer in the Tandom the TI Amas on the AI should stop the submarining which for me is the scary part having almost gone over a few times the extra buoyancy will be awesome I cant wait to try it out in stronger winds.
I got a video have a look.
http://www.youtube.com/user/samdaleroge ... BM156zZk4g

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

BlackNBlue, is that a Sprayskirt on the front of your AI? If so, why wasn't it open? If it was because of the trampoline, just add some line to the sides to loop around the eyelet post at the end of the aka to hold it open. The Sprayskirt would have slowed the boat from starting to dive, and slowed the boats dive when it did finally submarine.

The bigger ama will not go under as easy, but it looked like you had too much sail out for that wind. Reefing in just 4-6" would have helped a lot, and you would have sailed even faster.

Good video. Now I need to dry off. :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

BlackNBlue, that was a close one! You stuffed it pretty good. :shock:

The Hawaiian Hybrid has extra load bearing features in the (old style) Akas that handle some of the added load from the larger TI Amas, but as yet no reinforcement to the mast or mast step. Something that's being look at.

How your 2011 AI Akas handle the higher forces has yet to be explored so be aware of this as you experiment. Best advice I can give is reef early and keep an eye on the longterm state of your Aka connections/mast brace/screws.

Have fun though and let us know how she goes.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

reconlon Hi Yes i do have spray skirts. I was not planning to go to sea that day so in the creek I dont really need them. But the wind was flucky in the creek so i tried getting more wind. See what i did next on the other ytube video called strong gust it would have been 35kt plus :shock: the wind got so strong at one stage i could not reef the sail :oops: All good fun.
Regards Nick

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Terrific slideshow and video. That lineup of boats on the beach was impressive--some serious fishermen in that group.

Question: on the Batboat, does the bow wave deflector also act as a spray deflector?

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Keith, it's there for wave deflection only. It worked fairly well with oncoming swells in the stock AI mode, and works less hard now that the long TI Amas help to raise the bow.

The Hybrid AI/TI takes a LOT less spray over the bow (a design goal), but I imagine Bob's skirts would still be a welcome addition.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nick, just curious as to why the one tramp? Was that so you could get to the camera mount easily?

We roll the tramps up for anything over about 18 kts. We find they contribute to instability in strong winds. The windward tramp catches air underneath and the leeward tramp catches water and together they work to overturn our favorite plastic toy.

Well, our favorite plastic toy without batteries, I should say.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:21 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Gringo I fish alot out of the AI so on a good hookup i swing the amas in on the right hand side.
Cant wait to see the video of the batboat :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't think I ever posted this video of the Hapa AI-TI on the water. I chase Kahikolu around for awhile (I'm on a stock AI), trying to keep up.

Note the stability of the AI with TI Amas, the high waterline, the comfy outboard sailing positiion and the lack of Ama burying compared to my AI.

Winds were 20mph+

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1sTaee9VD0&feature=player_profilepage[/youtube]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

And a few more shots of her on the water, for those of you have been patient with me.

AI hull, TI Amas, Batwing seat and Haka benches on Kahikolu's custom trailer.

Capt K on an early float test.

Bust out the paddle. Loaded for bear.

Prowed to be Hawaiian. :wink:

Our Hobie weekend.

20+mph stress tests.

A light day off Waikiki with the finished product.

Mahalo for watchin.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:55 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Wow, sweet setup!

ex 2012 Hobie Tandem Island
ex 2011 Hobie Pro Angler
ex 2011 Hobie Adventure Island
ex 2010 Hobie Adventure Island

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:07 pm 
Hobie Team Member

B&B

Thanks for info on AI aka fitting TI ama. answers my question posted on the Hawaiian sailing club board..

Anyone with suggestions on how to beef up a bit or is Bat Boat platforms enough.

I'm getting ideas about a fishing seat mount that would permit 360 rotation. Also rod mounts inside ABS/PVC pipe so your extras are out of the way instead of sticking up where not wanted. I'm a bit old for stand up fish fighting even with bat boat stability, but if I had some sort of brace to lean on. It might be stored down with some sort of locking mechanism when swung up.(idea from Ford tail gate pole assist only ues a U piece instead)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just wanted to repeat that this project involves a 2008 hull/Akas with 2010 TI Amas.

Matching a 2011 hull/Akas to TI floats should not be much different, as long as the depth of the 2011 AI Aka endcaps matches that of the 2008 AI.

I can't confirm it, but I believe it does, which means Dan would need to extend his rear and maybe front Aka downtubes to properly fit the depth of the TI Ama wells.

I was thinking, that a cool alternative would be to fabricate some plug-in "extensions" that could be removed so the bars could be used in stock AI mode or as a Hapa (hybrid) Adventure.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dan, we currently have a "grab rail" on the TI3 project (at least, it is used that way when we fly out on the tramps).

With a Haka bench solution, it would be easy to fashion removable backrest/roll bar and fasten it to the wood.

The more we hike out on the TI Amas, the more it seems reasonable to have a getaway-style bench and back rest. Even one that folds up/down. Anything that helps keep you attached to the boat.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here's a detail of the front and rear Aka extensions (you may need these to properly fit the TI Amas on an AI). Using 1 5/8" Aluminum tubing.

FRONT

REAR

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next