Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This has been asked about by owners for a while. I recently purchased a Kodak Play-Sport video camera and I was in the same boat. But today I found a solution that will work for me and maybe some of you. I wanted something that could be moved around and didn't required tools to mount/unmount. It also had to be simple, fast, affordable and reliable. But above all, it has to look good on the boat, not out of place.
The hardware isn't stainless steel and will cause a problem if not properly maintained. I suppose the hardware could be replaced with stainless steel without too much trouble. I haven't researched that yet. The clamp itself is made of durable plastic and designed not to mark up your bars but use caution. You'll have to get creative to safely mount you accessories to the clamp as there is only one hole to mount to. Adding a ram ball mount should be easy. Keep in mind this clamp is rated up to 25lbs according to the manufacturer. If you have any ideas/suggestions please share.
I'm using this on my TI but works on the AI as well. The clamp, out of the box w/both adapters removed and no rubber sleeve, works well on the aka bar (new version) on main hull(vaka). The older aka version and all attaching aka bars require a rubber gasket. Ace Hardware has rubber coupling flex (part no.44606) that works great and further protects the aka paint. The hose clamps aren't needed.(add to spare parts) I used a utility knife and cut off the outer hose clamp recesses leaving the thicker middle that's the same width as the clamp. I then slit it across the middle to allow it to cover the aka where I want the mount. Next just install the clamp over the rubber sleeve and tighten but only enough to secure the clamp as there will be a small gap. Don't over tighten because the clamp is designed for a 2 inch diameter. The aka w/rubber sleeve is slightly larger. Haven't done much searching for the perfect fit but current solution works for me. I'll change it if I find something better.(any suggestions?) I plan on mounting a disassembled tripod camera mount w/pistol grip (remove legs and use the center pole only) for quick adjustments (even height) and removal. Sunpak - PlatinumPlus 6000PG 61" Tripod at Best Buy for 49.99.
The clamp I'm using is made by American DJ. Part no. O-clamp/1.5 and is used to mount stage lighting. Cost $5-$8. Purchased at Guitar Center but also can be found at some Best Buys and most music stores carrying DJ equipment. I'm having trouble posting pics. Google the part no. for images.
Good times, Brian

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Brian - you sound like you might be a DJ or possibly a KJ :roll:
I know this is off topic but Have you thought about a suitable inboard sound system for the TI/ AI?
The AI used to come with a little bag that connects to the rear of the seat back.
It's fairly well protected from water and seems the most likely place to locate some sort of sound system. Have you got any thoughts about this?

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Mickey,
Funny you bring that up. My daught keeps bugging me to get music on the boat. I also have 2 AIs with the very seat you're referring to. I think Pioneer make motorcycle speakers that would mount using the mounts in this post. The system requires a 12v battery to power the amp. The system sounds better than you can imagine on a kayak. It's so funny that you mentioned audio. I spent the day looking for a waterproof system other than an iPod shower caddy. If it's gonna be on the Hobie it has to maintain it's image.
Good times, Brian

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Go to www.ram-mounts.com and run a search on "Rail Mounts". There are several corrosion resistant solutions that will give you the ram ball to hook all the different ram accessories to. I have rod holders on my AKAs.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Dawg,
I've looked at that option before but not everything I want to mount requires a ram ball. I replaced all the hardware with stainless steel. It works great and I can move them around without tools while under sail if needed. Plus, I can have more for less money. Those Ram mounts are $50+ each not a good value considering what you get. When they're the only ones making these mounts, they can charge what ever they want. I have 2 AIs and a TI. So the price gets up there when you want 2 or 3 per boat.
Good times, Brian