Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:45 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I may be very bad at using the search function, but I am not finding much information on how others are mounting their cameras (GoPros) on their kayaks. I see lots of videos showing how great they are, but almost nothing about how they do it. Close to the boat? On a pole on the boat? On a telescopic pole? Details!

I just got a GoPro and had no clue, so I just got the suction cup mount for the time being til I figure the best way to mount it. Now to find a place it will stick that is smooth.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:08 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Mounts and mounting positions is kind of an art in a way...

Start with the basics like a bow mount looking back or from the stern and looking forward. Experiment, there is no one way to mount a cam.

I like to use RAM ball mounts and the round circular base with double sticky 3M (gray) foam tape. You can stick it a lot of places. I'd advise the 1/4 x 20 threaded mount option for the GoPro, then you have just about unlimited possibilities.

If you are going to put some videos together you will want different locations anyway... the same veiw gets boring after a while... even if it's a really cool view at first.

Using PVC pipe you can get real ceative. I even mounted one to my rudder one time so I could "pan" back and forth... the possibilities are endless.

Mix it up, you can't hardly go wrong, just improve the next time around :-)

Have fun!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:12 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Yes, these are some of the things I am talking about, I'd just like to SEE some of them. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:15 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I just got six "bungie ends" from Hobie. They're the fittings that have the bungie loops (like paddle holder, rudder bungie, etc.). I'm going to replace the screw-in pad eyes on the ends of the amas with these (I called Hobie and the threads are custom so this is the only option). My plan is to bolt PVC threaded plugs to these fittings and then screw on a length of pipe to hold my pole mount for the GoPro. I ordered the Handlebar mount and am using it on a 12' painting extension pole.

When it's done I'll post some photos.

I'm also using the vented helmet strap attached to an old skateboarding helmet. Not too fashionable but easy to Turn the camera on and off, pan, etc.

You should check out Halibu77 on YouTube. He does great work and one of his videos shows his camera pole system.

iHop

Dune TI - 6/4/2011
Camas, WA

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:20 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Yes, I love Halibu77's stuff and he does great video, but doesn't show what he uses and you can't contact him.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Agree with everything that NAHCA555 just said. If you mount your camera at an angle you like so that it can be easily accessed, you can then remove it and do 10 second clips different angles. These clips can then be edited down to suit the beat of your background music if used. The way Steve ( snjsanders ) has mounted his camera would be ideal to easily give you multiple angles whilst still mounted and then easily removed to do the 10 second clips.

For me, for what it's worth, this is the video I'm most happy with.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHU3LKZ10xc&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

however I look back at it now and feel that it drones on a bit too long, some clips are repeated, and I could have used the slow motion bits to better effect. It's all part of learning from others and constantly improving by seeing what works and what doesn't.

Hope that helps in some way Madwand.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

Last edited by Slaughter on Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:49 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Search out his "DIY TRIPOD used on boats or kayaks". He shows a lot of detail. In some other videos you can see the vertical tubes he's mounted on his amas and stern to support the camera.

iHop

Dune TI - 6/4/2011
Camas, WA

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:51 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm referring to Halibu77 for the YouTube videos.

iHop

Dune TI - 6/4/2011
Camas, WA

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:55 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Quoting snjsanders:

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=36678&p=149194&hilit=+camera#p149194

I had seen that one already, but as snjsanders says, it doesn't make much sense.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:11 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

What are you having trouble understanding? He made an adjustable camera mount from PVC elbows and attached it to a paint roller extension pole. The pole is either placed in a Scotty rocket launcher style rod holder for high shots or set into vertical tubes on the amas or stern for horizontal shots. Hen paints all of it black to minimize glare in his shots.

When do you get your new boat?

iHop

Dune TI - 6/4/2011
Camas, WA

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:51 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

IslandHoppa27 wrote:
What are you having trouble understanding? He made an adjustable camera mount from PVC elbows and attached it to a paint roller extension pole. The pole is either placed in a Scotty rocket launcher style rod holder for high shots or set into vertical tubes on the amas or stern for horizontal shots. Hen paints all of it black to minimize glare in his shots.

The part about "a paint roller extension pole." I didn't know that's what that was. "A Scotty rocket launcher style rod holder," I never heard of those. I don't think he mentioned that. "Vertical tubes on the amas or stern," I didn't know he used them, or how they are made...I'd like to know how they are made. Sorry, I am not very creative or imaginative. I need to see it. I notice lots of people on youtube are using PVC systems that are not very sophisticated. That is, they aren't very secure. At least Halibu77 used pins to secure his stuff so his parts all stay attached if something happens. The others are all dry fitted. That seems like the last thing you want on a boat that may wind up upside down at any time. At least in my case, it's very likely to occur. I can't seem to keep boats upright.
IslandHoppa27 wrote:
When do you get your new boat?

Should be next week some time. Waiting for my dealer to reroute the shipment from Ca. to Or. to La. Hobie won't send it to me, so he's got to ship it to me. 2012!!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:48 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Just Google Scotty rocket launcher and you'll see it. I'll post some shots of my paint roller extension when it's done.

I got my TI in June after getting worried that if I didn't grab the one in stock in Portland I'd be waiting months for it. So glad I did, can't put a price on the fun I've had with my grandkids and wife sailing this summer.

Where are planning to sail and fish, Lake Maurepas?

iHop

Dune TI - 6/4/2011
Camas, WA

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:54 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

By the way, you're way ahead of the game by spending time on these forums and asking lots of questions. Four months ago I knew zip about Hobies, trailers, GoPro, camera mounts, fishing rod holders, etc. Tweaking your boat is half the fun!

iHop

Dune TI - 6/4/2011
Camas, WA

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:48 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Yes, I looked it up after you first said it (Scotty rocket launcher). Looks like it could be useful.

I quit trying to fish about 10-15 years ago when every time I went fishing I would catch absolutely nothing, no bites. When I would speak to other fishermen passing by, every one of them would tell me they were biting yesterday. Yesterday they were filling their ice chests up. Catching bream the size of their forearms yesterday. But I am unable to go fishing yesterday, so I decided it wasn't for me. I've got a friend at work who fishes every chance he gets, small waters. I'm tempted to bet him a large sum that if I went with him, there would be no bites. I've never seen a bream larger than my hand...

I'll probably be in Lake Pontchartrain, I've only been in Maurepas once and I didn't like the feel of it. But then I've had to be rescued twice in tiny sailboats in Pontchartrain :lol: because it's so volatile out there. Maurepas seems a little more swampy, so the fishing was probably better there yesterday.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:31 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

My cousin Nash Roberts III is a guide around Happy Jack. I bet you could catch some redfish with him and then you'd know where and how to go after them in your Yak. If you're interested, let me know and I'll "hook you up"! I always catch fish when I'm with him but I'm in total beginner mode up here in Washington. Redfish and speckled trout in a TI would be a blast.

iHop

Dune TI - 6/4/2011
Camas, WA