Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I know that Matt has acknowledged Hobie's plans for a TI jib - and for the curious - following are a few pictures that provide clues -

So what gives Matt - how will this thing work?

An unrelated question - I assembled my own TI because I was in a hurry - the bag had a small length of black cord and two little rubber cups or caps with what look like little handles - what are these for? They look like they could be used to plug the little scupper holes in the rear seat area on the TI... is that the purpose?

Now for the clues:

Is this the future attachment point on the mainsail for the jib? Webbing loop on the leading edge of the mainsail - but if so, then how will the furling system work? Will the jib have to roll up inside the mainsail?

Note the pre-drilled and tapped holes in the forward crossbar - they fit the cleat system already used for furling - I assume these can be used to switch the boat to left-handed, but there is an extra - what will go here?

Lastly, there are stainless steel eye straps on each ama - what could these be for?

Come on Matt, impatient, inquiring minds want to know - what are the wizards planning?

'06 Hobie Getaway
'95 OK Scrambler (5)
'10 Walker Bay 310/Tohatsu 9.8
'07 Yam VX110 (2)
'08 Carolina 2590/Yam 115 (aquaculture)
'08 Judge 22/Honda 150
'05 World Cat DC250/Honda 150s
'08 Island Packet SP Cruiser

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:44 pm 
Site Admin

The jib kit went on the back burner unfortunately. At the Everglades challenge event in high winds and rough seas, Jim discovered an issue that will require some reinforcement in the bow for using the jib kit. He has to work that out still.

and yep... cargo area scupper plugs.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

mmiller wrote:
The jib kit went on the back burner unfortunately. At the Everglades challenge event in high winds and rough seas, Jim discovered an issue that will require some reinforcement in the bow for using the jib kit. He has to work that out still.

I take this also to mean that there are no issues in the TI mast base for handling the vertical powers caused by the jib and stays.
My question now is the following. Would this be the same in the AI; would a stayed jib (only to be used in bft 3 or less) be safe for the mast base in the AI, or is the AI-V-frame different such that I should expect problems there in the AI if I would use a jib with stays?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:55 pm 
Site Admin

I can't guess at what that would do to the AI rig, but the issue on the TI is the rig tension required for sailing the jib up wind. It causes a ton of compression load. If only used as a down wind drifter... not an issue.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

mmiller wrote:
I can't guess at what that would do to the AI rig, but the issue on the TI is the rig tension required for sailing the jib up wind. It causes a ton of compression load. If only used as a down wind drifter... not an issue.

Matt, I can understand that, I will be careful! I use a small furlable jib (under 1.8m2), with stays on the top of the mast, in light winds only (under 10 knots), but in all wind directions. I furl it a little close hauled to prevent lee helm. I've plans to make a bigger furlable jib for under 6 knots of wind.

The question that remains for me is the following: is the construction and (relative) strength of the V-frame and its connection to the hull roughly the same between the AI and TI, or is that construction significantly stronger on the TI? I don't want to take the risk of stressing the rig too much, so if the AI is much weaker in this respect, I have to downplay my current use of the jib.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:25 pm 
Site Admin

The "V" frame and cup are virtually the same in the AI vs TI.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Matt, thanks for your answers!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:10 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi Skua, Matt
You say you use stays with your jib, are they completely necessary or just to help the jib perform even better.
I have thought about stays but was worried about the sail hitting them and damaging the sail if I had to release it in a hurry.

I have tried a small test jib on mine without stays and am now part way through making a new configuration, any in put greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:47 pm 
Site Admin

For upwind sailing they would be a must. You can likely get away without if reaching and running.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:18 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Can you check out this jib system and pick it apart. I am farther down on the mast and no stays and it doesn't overpower the mast jet and performance to windward is much improved.
Thanks, Roger

http://www.youtube.com/all_comments?v=bGtH-We0Kdo

http://rogermannadventures.blogspot.com/