Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1315 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66 ... 88  Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mahalo Scott. You would stay VERY high and dry on those compared to most solutions.

I like the Little Giant as much as any alum product out there, though they are still 2x as thick as they need to be. As such, they raise you nicely but would be more likely to act as air and water foils in rough conditions. That's the only down side I can see. Hell- you could bolt some real backrests or grab rails on those sukkas.

Do you still plan to go with wood?

And what's your perspective on using these as a hiking platform, on such a long and grueling race?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Aloha Nohuhu....I like the aluminum planks so much that, for now at least, I am sticking with them. Since the EC, I have been out in pretty some extreme conditions out here on Cape Cod and the extra freeboard of the taller planks seems to be a non issue. When steering from the plank hakas I use a telescoping boat hook adapted for use as a hiking stick. When steering from the cockpit I often use the boat hook as a makeshift boom for better sail shape when reaching and as a preventer when sailing down wind. A folding back rest for use when steering from the hakas are a great idea...sound like a great spring project! In a couple weeks I am headed back down to the keys/everglades and am going to try out the plank hakas on my new TI.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

nobody here ever thought about using QuickFists?

they don't degrade by UV, won't scratch your paint and are 'locked'

just use screws to fix them on your haka's and then wrap the rubber part around your aka's :D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have thought about them. I bought some at west marine for a separate project and began looking at them for my hakas. Only problem I had was that using them (assuming you use four per bench) limits you to where you mount your haka, since the iakos are not parallel. I guess you could go with two to attach the haka to the after iako, and a bungie attachment for the for'rd. Also they are light-duty - I think taking a greenwater swell up beneath the hakas would snap the little rubber keeper strap. Again - lakes and ponds no problem; big blue I'm not convinced.
-RH

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

SO many reasons to love bungees!

Thank you Kiwis!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:14 am 
Site Rank - Captain

rotorhead wrote:
Also they are light-duty - I think taking a greenwater swell up beneath the hakas would snap the little rubber keeper strap. Again - lakes and ponds no problem; big blue I'm not convinced.
-RH

they are not light duty: they take a hell of a beating on most of the 4x4's that are using them

1 of them is in my 4x4 holding a 10 pound fire extinguisher and it only comes loose when I want it to :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Of course, you are not sitting on your fire extinguisher in the middle of a deep, volatile ocean either. :wink:

But those clamps look pretty useful, given their 50 lb load ratings.

I think 4 of these could work pretty good for light-duty Haka sailing.

http://www.endroad.com/index.php/quick-fist-mounts/long-arm-quick-fist-clamp.html

Thanks Leipo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

NOHUHU wrote:
Of course, you are not sitting on your fire extinguisher in the middle of a deep, volatile ocean either. :wink:

hehe, no
but I don't want to get a 10 pound projectile in my neck when I am bouncing around on a rocky 'road' either :lol:
4x4 is much like sailing: everything that isn't secured gets thrown around violently.

But I must say that I never sailed on any ocean, so I don't know the forced involved with that kind of sailing :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have never sailed my TI in really rough offshore conditions, but I can attest to one particular incident in my 25 foot quarter tonner back in the late seventies.

Sailing in a pitch black night, I was below looking at the charts when the helmsman decided to tack. Unfortunately this coincided with the arrival of a big (twelve foot high) wave, so the yacht speared through it into space. One guy who was standing at the mast just slid his hands up the mast and back down again on landing, another guy got lifted up from his seat and landed neatly on the other side of a large winch (we tried not to think what internal damage he would have done if he had landed on it instead).

I immediately shoved my head out of the companionway counting heads, luckily accounting for everybody.

I was surprised at the shocked look on their faces, until they explained that I had done a full backards somersault across the cabin, landing facing the same way!

I have punched through waves on the TI, but the landings always seem really soft by comparison....

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:59 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

QuickFists look just the job.

I am getting some to try out
CC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thought I would post up a pic of my Haka... I was going for a Zombie Apocalypse Urban Camo paint job for all accessories added.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My version of the alternative to tramps. Dry Weight ,7lbs a side and weight capacity of 600 lbs per haka.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:18 am 
Site Rank - Captain

carsautotech wrote:
My version of the alternative to tramps. Dry Weight ,7lbs a side and weight capacity of 600 lbs per haka.

Very well done! :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

carsautotech wrote:

What are they made of?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There was at least one pair of interesting hakas at the start of the EC2014. They were essentially a pair of cots--custom made, which lifted the user about 6" above the akas.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1315 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66 ... 88  Next