Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1315 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 88  Next
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:05 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

NOHUHU wrote:
5-0- this is what the 4 slat version looks like.

I think I want a set of those. :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I like the look of these things, and I have a few questions.

1. Is there a max total weight that can be put on the akas?
2. Is the weight of a person plus the weight of the seat likely to damage the joint between the akas and the crossbar? Particularly in higher winds when the upwind arma is out of the water and not supported.

I have purchased the wood. got mirbu(?). Used on decking walkways around the coast, so I suppose it should last. Looking forward to warmer weather and lots of time out on the Hobie!

AL
2011 RED AI

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Will let Hobie comment on this, but riding out on the tramps has been supported for some time, and this is really no different. Tramps are rated at 200lb, IIRC.

My AI has the 2010 pinned Aka connectors and have no way of knowing how this mod will effect the new knuckled connectors (and the rivets that have been working loose on some boats).

As far as weight distribution, I am finding that my favorite position is in the middle of the seat, which is placed in the middle of the Akas.

If you build the bench to flex slightly, it will be kinder to you and your Hobie.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:53 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Used the Haka seats for the first time today. 10-15 knots. Worked really well. very happy with them. had a great day. About 25c. 4 hours just mucking around in the gippsland lakes. It doesn't get much better following our winter. Looking foreward to more of the same

AlPal

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Man, I'm drooling just by looking at the scenery in this picture... Are there places in Florida that look like this!?

NOHUHU wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi all:

I really liked your idea NOHUHU, thanks very much for sharing it with us. Despite you do a better DIY job than me, I´m pretty happy with my AKA benches. Here's the vid I have shot while making it.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OZaSkBcFR8[/youtube]

thanks again!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:14 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Like the three board bench excluding the PVC pipe so you can use your tramps.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Very nice versions and excellent video, cavendish62.

Thick, non-slip padding is a great way to mount the Hakas. As long as they are strapped down well, they will not move.

You also show us how easy it is to mount "custom" accessories to the wood.

Now we just need to make some nice cushions for our benches.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:09 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Now that the 5,000 plus miles between me and the kayak are finally closed, made a set of benches and installed the new rudder.

Not including water seal, it was was $60 in parts.

Edit: The green cooler in back fits perfectly between the uprights on the wheel frame and the white West Marine cushion float is great for back support.

Last edited by Fly4v on Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:17 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

For a cushion or seat give North Water Four Play Multiple Use Paddle Float a try. Lots of buckles and straps.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great mods cavendish and Fly4v! 8)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Looks Badass.

I use the same cushion and cleats.

Can't wait to see a "bamboo" version. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

So far the thickest bamboo in stock here is about 1" diameter. I was hoping they would import some thicker stuff. They've had it in the past. I'm just stuck about 80% through their typical stock re-ordering cycle right now.

I have been making some things with the smaller bamboo. Curtain rods. A weeding tool, and actually paying attention to bamboo as a building material lately. Attaching pieces together without damaging the bamboo seems to be where it all falls down. It basically needs to be lashed. Putting screws through it destroys it. I have had some luck lately by gluing a hardwood dowel inside an end section and then drilling that.

Stuff is amazingly strong when it's undamaged. I think lashing will look okay on a boat. But a different approach than the wooden slats. Bamboo ones will be more flexible, I think. I am considering essentially a roll-up mat approach.

If I was really limited to 1" diameter bamboo, it's still a feasible thing to try but I think I would be making the hakas a lot wider, using more of them. From an engineering stress standpoint, the hakas do not pull the akas toward each other like the tramps do when weighted.
I still have to work out the best way to take the dog along. He now automatically moves to the windward tramp when we tack.
Proper little sailor.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Fly4v benches remind me that, while a cross piece and rounded edges are not needed right at the front and rear of the Hakas, they do help to avoid snagging sheets, fishing lines and the like.

Mine are left open so I can use simple bungie balls to tie the benches on with no PVC sticking out the sides. Extending the PVC rails beyond the wood gives you more mounting options, but takes up wiggle room.

Here's a shot of Kahikolu's strap ons. You could lash, bungie or velcro them in place as well.

(Fly4v, save a little of that water seal for your deck! :lol: )

Last edited by NOHUHU on Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:51 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

The front and rear bars are for avoiding snags, catches, and hope to control the eventual warping but the rounded edges front and bottom are for safety when surfacing. If there is a pointed corner on a swim platform.... I'll be the one to find it.

NOHUHU wrote:
(Fly4v, save a little of that water seal for your deck! :lol: )

The deck needing sealed help justify the expense... of course had to have priorities and did the benches first, on the deck, and then finished the deck.

Being in Hawaii, you know caring for a house at the beach is worse than owning a boat. You have the problems of both worlds and cant put to sea when a storms coming.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1315 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 88  Next