Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1315 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 ... 88  Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

fusioneng wrote:
For number 6, instead of the double bungy, I ran a 1/4 dia nylon line from the stainless cleat in the middle of the left AMA up around front left AKA brace, then back behind the mast assembly, then back in front of the right AKA brace, then clipped onto the stainless cleat in the center of the right AMA. What this does is prevent the AMA's from clanking around, and also in the event of a sheer pin breakage, the rope prevents the AMA's from folding in. I tend to sail kind of hard at times and have sheared off several AMA sheer bolts.
Hope this helps
Bob

Fusioneng,

I was just out in some quite rough water where the wind against a current in a turbulent tidal area created a steep sometimes chaotic chop and really slammed my TI around. The aka joints and bungies got a real workout. I'd like to try your idea. But I want to make sure I understand you. By the "front left AKA brace," do you mean the cross bar that goes clear across the hull?

And then, do you tie the line off on both the left and right AKA braces (or left and right sides of the crossbar), or just run it around the brace and tie it only to the AMAs? Would it work just as well to use 2 shorter lines: one from left ama to left brace, and one from right ama to right brace? Thanks,

Puget

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

For those of you with sand colored TI's and more disposable income than time, here's a handsome fashion accessory:

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=11151&partNumber=14112841&langId=-1&searchKeyword=14112841&cid=E130226D#.US0PyKUVuq4

Length 11’0" (335 cm)
Width 30.5"(75.5 cm)
Thickness 4.75" (12.1 cm)
Board Weight 24 Lbs
Weight Limit: 270 lbs (Novice)

$499 MSRP

In case you were in the market for these escape pods anyway. These wood save you lots of cutting, sanding and varnishing.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Yaknrugger,

did you '' testflight '' your Hakas yet ?

Richard

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Puget :
Oops I didn't realize I didn't respond to your questions.

Quote:
By the "front left AKA brace," do you mean the cross bar that goes clear across the hull?

Yes the bar that goes across the hull, which is attached by brackets on each end to the hull, and in the center (where the sail is). I run the rope in front of the left brace, behind the big bracket in the center, then around front of the right brace. It is out of the way of everything like this. I actually leave the rope wound through there when I break the boat down, and just throw the ends of the rope (with the stainless clips) into the mesh storage pouches for storage. It takes all of 3 seconds to clip onto the AMA.

Quote:
And then, do you tie the line off on both the left and right AKA braces (or left and right sides of the crossbar), or just run it around the brace and tie it only to the AMAs? Would it work just as well to use 2 shorter lines: one from left ama to left brace, and one from right ama to right brace? Thanks,

The rope is not tied anywhere, it just slips around the left and right braces. It is of course clipped with stainless clips on the ends to the AMA (as shown in the pic). Of course you could have two shorter ropes, just tied to the left and right outer AKA braces, it would serve the same purpose. I just thought to use just a loose rope initially that could be stowed in my sail bag along with my other misc ropes and sails in the garage. But after the first couple times out I decided to just leave it on the hull to save rigging time, it's been there ever since.

To test it out, just unhook the AKA brace and try to push the AMA back and in, using the stretchy nylon rope it pushes in just a little then springs back out, so if you were to hit a dock, damage will still be unlikely, trust me I've banged into bunches of stuff and sheared off many nylon bolts, but never any other damage (knock on polyethylene for luck).
I get into some pretty rough conditions at times, and have never had an AMA fold in, which would be your worst nightmare in really rough conditions. I have however sheared off at least a half a dozen shear bolts. With 260 sq ft of sail my TI really flies when I have good wind.
As a side benefit, the rope keeps the AMA's from bouncing all over the place and making a lot of noise (not planned, but hey it works)

Here is a pic of the safety rope in place, I just store the rope with the hull, and snap the clips on when putting the AMA's on.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Lomcevak wrote:
Hi Yaknrugger,

did you '' testflight '' your Hakas yet ?

Richard

Richard,

I did, but not as I would have liked. I had one day last Saturday when the sun came out, and wouldn't you know it not more than 20 minutes out and the wind just died completely. I did get out and sail on them while I could, I also jumped around on them, napped for a bit, and even did a little fishing from them.

Here is a pic of Ted standing tall on the starboard haka. It was so calm he rode this way all the way to the pier. We have a camp and fish next weekend and the conditions look to be good as of now. We will see. I will get video when I can test them properly.

I will say this as I know chopcat has said before. Cantilevers ARE the way to go. I am able to hike out with ease and efficiency from the rear cockpit.

cheers,

Jay

President - Gulf Coast Kayak Fishing Association

Like us on Facebook!

Check out my PA12 mods HERE

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

:D Image

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Quote:
Quote: Puget:

Quote Fusioneng:
The rope is not tied anywhere, it just slips around the left and right braces. It is of course clipped with stainless clips on the ends to the AMA (as shown in the pic). Of course you could have two shorter ropes, just tied to the left and right outer AKA braces, it would serve the same purpose. I just thought to use just a loose rope initially that could be stowed in my sail bag along with my other misc ropes and sails in the garage. But after the first couple times out I decided to just leave it on the hull to save rigging time, it's been there ever since.

To test it out, just unhook the AKA brace and try to push the AMA back and in, using the stretchy nylon rope it pushes in just a little then springs back out, so if you were to hit a dock, damage will still be unlikely, trust me I've banged into bunches of stuff and sheared off many nylon bolts, but never any other damage (knock on polyethylene for luck).
I get into some pretty rough conditions at times, and have never had an AMA fold in, which would be your worst nightmare in really rough conditions. I have however sheared off at least a half a dozen shear bolts. With 260 sq ft of sail my TI really flies when I have good wind.
As a side benefit, the rope keeps the AMA's from bouncing all over the place and making a lot of noise (not planned, but hey it works)

Got it. I missed the stainless clips the first time I read it.

I set it up in the driveway and it works great. Hope to try it in the water next week. I was wondering if those two little screws in the AMA would hold when a buried ama is being pulled at 10 or 12 mph. But it sounds like you push it harder than I would or could with my stock sail, so I won't worry. I'm sure the stretch in the nylon helps with the stress. Thanks.

Puget

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:44 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Nice mod, I'll have to add this, thanks.
I've used the exploding rivets where there may be a little extra strength needed in areas where I can't access for a nut, washer & bolt (dble bungee mod). These rivets would work well for this mod too.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm not a fan of rivets in plastic. They always seem to loosen up and leak sooner or later. Then the only solution is to drill them out and start all over.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

With high bungee side pressure applied to those, and the Amas bouncing around and burying all day, I would agree. Same goes for using them for anchoring.

Seems they would be fine in the thicker gunwales for leashing rods and other gear, but I'd avoid putting them on submerged areas.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Congrats to this years Watertribe EC racers who chose to outfit their boats with Hakas. Please post your photos and impressions here, if you can.

Here's one that stood out, (maybe a last minute trip to Home depot)? :wink: Who's this?

Extra points to him for finding this cool, lightweight aluminum scaffold plank that only weighs 14lb and sells for $99 each. Clever. And very handy around the house.

http://www.littlegiantladder.com/little-giant/work-plank.html

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That scaffolding haka was used by Windblown (aka Scott Smith) in this year's EC. A year ago I would have been interested in such aluminum hakas--but, I've learned to love wood. You can see my latest modification of my haka table at http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7276&p=203745#p203745

One thing you can say about these scaffolding hakas, for $200, anyone could buy a pair, strap them on and be ready to go. Windblown's setup does bother me. In rough waters, it is possible that the leading bungee cord might slide off the front of the aka. All that needs to happen is a series of strong waves striking the haka from underneath to drive the haka back enough to slip the bungee. He should consider adding a aka bumper (see my table haka link above.)

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:45 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

If you get the extending aluminum planks you can have adjustable length as well.
http://www.expresstools.co.uk/shop/access-equipment/ladders/muti-purpose-ladder-system/little-giant-1303-113-extending-475247.html
All comes at a cost of weight i am afraid. Way over even my mighty hardwood jobs.

CC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The expander models are all 30-40lbs each, and more expensive, so they don't have the appeal of the 6' little giant planks. Those things sure raise you up high over the water, too.

Keith, those could be pvc tubes or such holding the Hakas in place. If they are fixed to the plank, the thing would not move at all. Can you remember if they were?

I like the way Windblown has them railblazed already. :lol:

I sure would need pads on those, though.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NOHUHU-I didn't look underneath, but from the picture, it appears his hakas are simply resting on a 1/4" thick clear, soft plastic wrap. It is a very nice protector.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1315 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 ... 88  Next