Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1315 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 88  Next
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

They make very good places to strap milk crates too, for extra hauling or lure storage.

You'll find the wood benches are perfect for mounting various fishing rod holders, so you can run more lines...

On the calm lakes they make a great place to sit out, cast and bottom fish. You can sit there with your feet on the Amas.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

@CaptainChaos: Jim, can you explain why you have some of the crossbars on your hakas protruding? Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chris, I added those protusions because my final fuzzy goal was to get a tent to work with the hakas for the watertribe race. In case I needed to camp but the islands / land in the area were not very tent friendly. I put both hakas on one side of the boat and pitch a tent.

I just got a new tent the other day and will be using it in May on an Appalachian trail hike. Today I was working on my 2009 AI in the driveway so I decided to try the tent for size. Turns out I didn't need the protusions at all. And the tent went up nicely to make a practical floating shelter. It can optionally be pitched with just the top tarp and bottom footprint and should withstand pretty high winds.

On the final version I'll have precise tie down cords to easily snap to the boat. In the pictures I have towels between the hakas and akas because I just painted the akas to sell the boat and didn't want to accidentally scratch them.

It will work just fine.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for that Jim.
You might want to check that setup out on the water. Dogslife has commented that the amas on the AI don't have enough buoyancy to sleep out to one side and you end up at too much of an angle: viewtopic.php?f=70&t=13400&p=160202#p160202
I haven't tried it myself.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well Chris, I've laid on my hakas while sailing and felt pretty comfortable and fairly level so I'm not sure about that. But I will investigate it more. I'm not looking to make a camping boat and pretty much just looking for a quick method to have sheltered sleep when doing something like the Everglades Challenge.

And even if it was a little off from being level, It would be quite easy to compensate with some sort of shims under the hakas.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you used the Exped Synmat 9 deluxe pad, you could simply shim up one end of the matress with your clothing bag.
http://www.rei.com/product/780369/exped-synmat-9-deluxe-air-pad-with-pump

This matress is 3.5" (8.9 cm) thick. I think you could have a hammer under it and not notice when you are stretched out. Now, you would not want to sit on the matress with the hammer underneath--too much weight over a small area. But, sleeping on it would not be a problem.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Of course, you could always undo the ama from the other side and strap it inside the ama on the tent side to increase buoyancy. Shouldn't be too hard to do

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Very impressive Jim. Be interested to see how it goes. Tony's idea sounds like a good one if extra buoyancy is needed.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Rafting up the extra ama sounds like a potentially good solution to the bouyancy issue to me too 8)

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

Post subject: Hybrid Haka / Rear Seat
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I really enjoy the freedom and comfort of the benches, but from a pure sailing point of view, just shifting your bum out 1-2' windward of that rear seat position will yield similar results.

BTW, I'm still a fan of the "mini-batwing" concept. By extending and reinforcing those PVC tubes out 1 length on each side. you would have a terrific rear bench.
He also wrote:
The Hakas will do it all. But to go simpler/lighter, and retain foldability of the Amas, (at least forward) a small batwing is a very comfortable option. I would use it for light duty solo sailing or to supplement the tramps with 2 aboard.

Nice thing about that aft outboard position is that it's the easiest to transfer to/from. You can grab the rear windward aka for stability or lean onto the Akas for leverage.

A mini batwing presents a couple of problems. The original batwing seat rests on the hakas, which are in turn firmly fixed to the akas with pipe clamps . A stand-alone mini batwing would cantilever out from the hull and would be prone to see-saw and flex when you sat out on it.
Anyway, I've been meaning to make some hakas, so I thought I would try to create a haka which could be used as a rear seat/batwing (a "Raka"?).

ImageImageImageImageImage

I've stress-tested it (on my old cracked hull) and it performs fine, both as a haka and as a batwing.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice workmanship Chris !!! I like your batwing option and may incorporate something similar someday.

You will get hooked using Hakas. Especially in very windy weather. Hiking out on them makes a world of difference in sailing performance. I was out in very strong winds a few weeks ago and it was nice NOT having one ama completely buried in waves and compensating with the rudder. Plus it feels good sitting on them ... especially when there's a bucket of water laying in the Hobie seat area.

This weekend I'm camping with Chekika in the Everglades so I made a few modifications to my hakas. I finally came up with a way to quickly attach or remove them to the akas. When I launch, they now attach in a matter of seconds.

I also incorporated a "picnic table" option to one haka where you can attach legs to make a long picnic table which is a big plus when you're trying to cook in a sandy beach environment. Now I just need to bring a white tablecloth, candles, and Slaughter's famous New Years Eve seafood recipe. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wow, this thread is incredibly creative. Rakas and haka picnic tables. Does that sound great!

Jim, I'm looking forward to seeing your modifications. Definately going to get lots of pictures. Does this mean I don't have to bring my table this weekend?

Actually, I've been taking my table for so long, I would feel a great loss if I did not have it. Besides, what are we going to clean all the fish on w/o my table?

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:33 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Chris - Love that little stainless clip I have to to have some "where did you get it".

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dave, it's part # 6355 from Bias Boating. "Stainless Snap Hook - Suits 25mm webbing".
http://www.biasboating.com.au/product_p/6355.htm

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

HOLY HIKING STICK, BATMAN! That is seriously C 8) 8) L.

Excellent RAKA prototype Chris... and by painting it black you added the highly desirable seat warmer option!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1315 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 88  Next